Sunday, May 29, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Last night consisted of dinner on the deck, followed by a bonfire.  We bought marshmallows and graham crackers to create yummy snacks over the fire.  We waited for the sun to set somewhat before beginning the fire.  While waiting, my son played baseball with his daddy and my daughter ran around the yard enjoying the beautiful night. 

When the fire began, so did the roasting.  My son ran inside to get me something and I told him I would roast a marshmallow for him.  He specifically asked for a soft brown tone to the roast.  I obeyed and sandwiched it between to graham crackers.  He returned, ready to take over and create his treat.  He found it all ready for him and said, "You are the best mommy".  My daughter thanked me for bringing the food outside for roasting.  She enjoyed way too many marshmallows and crackers, but who could say no to that cute little face?! 

Both kids filled with joy over these events.  Little children enjoy the simple pleasures in life.  Their eyes focus on what is good.  Sad to say, the world grabs hold of their hearts, creating a risk for them to lose sight of good.  As parents, we strive to keep them innocent and create a solid Christian foundation.  This provides proper tools needed to stand firm, guard their hearts and stay focused (see Proverbs 4:23-24).

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
(2 Corinthians 4:17-18) 

Though not in human form, God is present daily.  We see Him in all around us through His Creations.  We need not search frantically.  He is present for all to see! 

As I took a walk yesterday, I remembered this fact.  I encountered a small little snake crawling on the road (yes, God created even the creepiest creatures!), a cat ready to pounce a pigeon, pigeons teasing the cat by flying above, dogs running around enjoying the day, the sun shining and friendly smiles from neighbors.  I also ran into a cousin who had been weighing on my heart lately and chatted for just a bit, then prayed for him as he left to go with his friend.  God stays with us always.

The simple pleasures in life can bring enjoyment to us adults as well.  We need only pray to God to change our eyesight so we may see clearly what is good.  Make every thought obedient to Him so as to not get caught in the battles OF this world (see 2 Corinthians 10:3-5).  Peace, joy and laughter will follow as we shift our focus from this world (troubles) to Him (pleasures).  

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for the reminder of what is good.  May I continue to see clearly each day Your Creation which surrounds me.  May I know I am borrowing all in this life from You and I must handle with care and praise.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment