Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pure Comfort

Last night we allowed our children to sleep with us.  As I lay next to my daughter, I awoke to a whimper.  I rolled over to see her moving a bit and quickly finding her thumb.  She instantly received comfort from sucking her thumb.  My son would find comfort in his daddy's arm. 

In the morning, my daughter wakes up knowing she will be served her comfort breakfast, mini muffins and white milk.  She then goes to the living room where her cartoon awaits.  She grabs her blanket, finds the tag with one hand and sucks the opposite thumb.  She is living in pure comfort!

My son wakes up knowing he will be served his comfort breakfast, pop-tarts (crust removed) and chocolate milk.  He then proceeds to the living room where his outfit for the day awaits.  He dresses and goes to play with his Lego table.  He is living in pure comfort!

Sounds pretty simple to find comfort and feel no pain.  As we grow, the process becomes difficult.  If we reach for the wrong place to find comfort, the path leads to destruction.  I reached for comfort in alcohol, drugs, starvation, exercise, approval and sleep.  I only found a temporary numb which led to even more pain.  Oh what I would have done for a blanket, a tag, someone's arm and a thumb to suck.

"May your unfailing love be my comfort,
   according to your promise to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me that I may live,
   for your law is my delight." (Psalm 119:76-77)

"Take delight in the LORD,
   and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)

So, I had it all wrong.  I need only go to God and love Him.  He knows my heart and wants me to have an abundant life (see John 10:9-11).  His arms remain open so I may run and be filled with His Truths, comfort and compassion.  Just as my children can trust that mommy and daddy will provide their comforts daily, we can trust that our Father will provide comfort and love daily.

I must stand firm behind God's Truth so when satan comes in with his lies, I shut him down.  Yesterday I experienced how fast the lies come.  One text message opened the flood gates of lies and satan began playing with all my emotions.  I instantly ran to God and His Truth.  I reached out for prayer from my husband.  I am not saying the lies left immediately, but I did not try to numb out or run away from these painful thoughts.  I replaced them with Truth so as to defeat them.  The more we replace lies with Truth, the less power they have over us.   

The devil never quits, so neither should our prayers and study of His Truths.  Run to God, His arms are open wide and He understands.  You will be living in pure comfort!

Thank you God for this day.  Thank You for being the great Father that you are to little ole me.  Your Truth continues to free me from my anxiety.  Thank You for picking me up and dusting me off again.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig


No comments:

Post a Comment