Saturday, May 7, 2011

Compromise Not Bitterness

Seek to understand before being understood!

As a woman I often approach matters with strong emotions.  Okay, I ALWAYS approach matters with strong emotions.  I come ready to battle when an issue arises in my relationships.  Where does that get me?  I fall into anger, stubbornness, anxiety, impatience, stunt my spiritual growth, create a bigger wedge for the relationship, anger, anger and did I mention anger!

I don't know what you think, but none of this sounds fun.  The relationship only suffers when I come in defense of what I think should be or how I think the other should feel.  God changes each of His Children at the time He sees perfect.  I cannot make another feel the way I do or change opinions and ideas of another.  Their thoughts and feelings make up their character.  It would be pretty boring if we all felt the same way about all matters.  Life would not progress or flourish if we all held the same thoughts and ideas. 

 Whoever is patient has great understanding,
   but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.
(Proverbs 14:29)

The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint,
   and whoever has understanding is even-tempered.
(Proverbs 17:27)

By wisdom a house is built,
   and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled
   with rare and beautiful treasures.
(Proverbs 24:2-4)

If two come together with a conflict and open their hearts and minds to understand the other, compromise may be the result.  Without understanding, destruction and resentment may be the result.  I, by nature, am stubborn so must work hard not to act defensively.  God continues to prune away at me and I realize I must obey.  He searches and finds all offensive ways in me so I may shed any hindrances to following Him (see Psalm 139:23-24).

Another lesson learned.  I ask for prayer on this one.  My hard heart and stubborn mind must be replaced with a soft heart and open mind.  My relationships will be blessed and become healthy.

God thank you for this day.  Thank You for another day of discipline I received yesterday.  I pray I can continue each relationship with a loving mind and crush my stubborn spirit.  I pray You come into every conflict so the result is compromise and not bitterness.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment