Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Positive Sandwich

This year my son's school presented a new discipline system.  Also, another system came about this year which encourages six pillars of character.  The six include trustworthiness, respect, fairness, caring, citizenship and responsibility.  Each character helps a child feel good about themselves, put others first and take the time to listen to the rules and follow instruction.

Along with the teachers emphasizing these character traits and discipline at school, the parents become involved.  We continue teaching these traits at home and learn them ourselves.  If our child receives discipline at school, the teacher sends a note home explaining the reason for the demerit.  The teacher sandwiches the bad action with good actions your child displayed throughout the day.  A positive note is sent home occasionally as well so to focus on the good in our children.  Too often our children hear, "NO", or "Would you stop doing ______", or "You never listen to me", or even worse "You cannot do anything right".  Our children soak these negative words in their little minds and begin believing they are worth nothing or why even try, my parents will never be happy with me. 

I love how the teacher is pulling out the positives and changing the mindset for parents.  Okay, so my kid talked in school yesterday and received a demerit; so what, he is a great kid and carries out the tasks God lays before him each day.  Yes, we talk with him about respecting the teachers and keeping his mouth silent while in school, but we do not condemn him for one little mistake.  What if we were yelled at or berated when we lost our keys, forgot to pick up dry cleaning, cut someone off in traffic by accident or said a not so nice word?

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4:29)

"because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."
(James 2:13)

"Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.  Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:36-37) 

These precious children God blessed us with do not deserve berating or condemnation.  Yes, teach them and guide them, but with God right next to you.  Ask Him for the right words, the right actions and solutions to help our children realize the way to go.  We envision our kids to be a certain way and place that standard on their life.  Guess what?  We are not in control of what our kids will become or how they act.  We can only do our part, with God as our leader, and build a solid foundation for these children to stand firm when facing this world. 

I saw a young mother going on and on about her child's negative attributes right in front of the child yesterday.  I became sad for the little boy because I cannot imagine what words soaked in his mind.  We need to build these little children up constantly.  This world tries to tear them down and judge every action.  Our children receive criticism about the way they look or what they wear.  Create a positive, uplifting atmosphere for these children when they come home.  Put aside your dreams and standards and live by God's standards.  God's mercies are new every morning; let your children know that your mercies are new every morning as well.  Teach, discipline and instruct, then move on.  Avoid reliving the same situation over and over.

God, thank you for this day.  Please change my attitude towards parenting.  Consume my every thought, action and words so I may build both my children up and teach them Your Truths.  Rid me of my standards or visions of how my children ought to be.  Help me see through Your eyes and love these children with every action of mine.  Thank You for blessing me with two beautiful kids.  Thank You for trusting me with this task.  I am willing and ready every day for this challenge.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment