Wednesday, August 10, 2011

No Lazy Faith Allowed

Around the same time every morning, I roll over to stop the most annoying sound in the world - my alarm.  I wander to the kitchen and turn on the most amazing machine in the world - my coffee pot.  It takes a bit to brew, so I go on to the restroom and wash my face, pray from Ephesians 6 to put on my daily armor, place my glasses upon my nose, make my son's bed, get his clothes laid out in the living room for him and set new ones out for tomorrow by his closet.  I walk back into the kitchen and usually enough coffee waits for me to fill one mug.  I change my date on my little block calendar, get out one of my specific coffee mugs (I only use two of the many we own) and walk the path to our office.  I plop myself in front of the desk and begin my morning studies.

After completing my day, I climb into the most comfortable outfit I own - my pajamas.  I wash my face, brush my teeth, place all the decorative pillows just so on the floor in front of our bed, pull down the covers and arrange my pillows exactly right.  I collapse in my normal position in bed and close my eyes on another day given by the grace of God.

Since I battle with OCD, these events listed above happen in the same way EVERY day.  I manage my OCD a whole lot better since I came to know God.  He calms my anxiety when an event or person throws my routines off kilter.  I remember a time when my coffee mug was dirty or I did not lay out clothes for my son; I began my day frustrated.  The anxiety and mood would trickle through every event the rest of the day.  OCD is a terrible disease.  Though terrible, the constant created some security for me.  No one could take it from me.  I could complete my actions blindfolded or half asleep.  I often look back and question if one of my tasks were completed.  I go to check, and sure enough, I did it.  I do these things absent-minded.

"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.  We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.  We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised."
(Hebrews 6:10-12)

Okay, so my routines in the morning or evening do not really affect anyone else.  But, if we become absent-minded in our prayer life or serving God, the affect on our lives is monumental.  If praying becomes mundane, where is our heart in the matter?  God asks for wholehearted devotion to Him.  This includes every conversation and task completed.  Remain alert and ready, for the enemy prowls around waiting to attack.  Careless walk creates potential for a blindsided attack.

Keep alert.  Change up your prayer routine to prevent passivity.  Alter your studies to allow different lessons to be learned.  Bible studies create the perfect way to change up routine.  Join as many as time allows.  This provides a way for God to speak to you on various subjects, meet new people and learn different ways to grow closer to God.  It also requires you to spend time with God and not find an excuse to do it later.   

Learn from Christian sisters and brothers how to avoid lazy faith.  Work diligently each day to hear how God would like to change up your routine for use to better His Kingdom.  Forget the mundane, strive for excitement.  Never a dull moment when working for God!  No matter the work He asks, you will walk away filled with peace, joy and love.  His work is the sole reason we exist. 

God, thank you for today.  Thank You for breathing life into me for yet another day.  Keep me from routine in my walk with You.  I am here to be used in any way.  Work through me.  Shuffle my events, so I do not become careless in doing any work for You.  Take away any anxiety I feel from losing my routines.  May I find security in You because You are constant.  I need not feel security in 'things' OF this world.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig   

No comments:

Post a Comment