Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Turn it Over to Him

My daughter acquired some spots on her extremities about three weeks ago.  We assumed the spots to be poison ivy because we visited my mom and poison ivy exists all around her property.  So, we began to apply Benadryl orally and topically.  Some spots began to dry up while others faded in color, yet still rose from her skin.  I thought the spots were decreasing until the other night I noticed about three new ones.  Being a frustrated mom, I informed my husband of this when he arrived home and expected him to provide a solution.  I wanted something to fix this and NOW. 

I took her to the doctor yesterday only to leave without a definite answer.  More frustration arose.  The doctor believed the spots to be bites from some creepy little creature.  First thought, bed bugs.  My daughter still uses a plastic covered mattress, so I threw that idea out of the door.  Next thought, fleas.  The only animals she sees have been checked and nothing found.  Also, others who are around these animals have nothing on them.  No one in the house appears to have bites on their skin, only my daughter.  What could this be?  Where are the creatures coming from?  How can I fix this?

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:17-18) 

"Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:3-4) 

So, when my children or husband contract an illness or appear to be less than 100% healthy, I search frantically for a solution.  I am their mother, after all.  I am to know all the answers to bring wellness back to my family.  I do not sit well on speculations of diagnosis.  My mind needs an exact reason when things are not 'normal'.  Once the solution is discovered, I want it fixed instantly.  Patience disappears from my vocabulary.  

Needless to say, I was one frustrated momma yesterday.  Satan begins lying to me and lets me know I am a failure for exposing my daughter to whatever bit her.  I did not clean the house good enough.  I did not call the exterminator in time.  I did not put enough bug spray on her when she went outside to play.  She will have blemishes on her skin from scratching these spots all because I did not protect her.  I failed as a mom and now have no solution.  Only time will heal.  

Meanwhile, my daughter continues with her life.  She plays and laughs.  She does not even complain.  She knows this is temporary.  Trials in life do not last forever.  They grow faith, perseverance, character and hope.  God asks that we focus on Him, the unseen and not concentrate on the struggles in this life.  The glory and peace found in Him prevails over trials of this world. 

My focus must change.  I must surrender this situation to God, allowing Him to heal my daughter and bring to our sight what little creature caused all the bites.  The problem is I have been trying to fix this myself, not seeking Him for advice.  I kept my thoughts on what I could do to help or heal my daughter.  I must humble myself and ask for His help.  Only He knows the solution. 

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for bringing my attention to my lack of faith.  I am sorry.  I kept trying this one on my own.  I now realize the steps needed to reach healing.  I give this trial to You.  Heal my daughter and bring peace to my heart.  I am not alone as a mother, but only able to accomplish my role with the strength You provide.  Allow me to be Your hands and feet with my children and keep You at the center of our home.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment