Monday, August 29, 2011

Watch Out for That Link!

Someone came to Jesus with this question: “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?”
 “Why ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. But to answer your question—if you want to receive eternal life, keep the commandments.”
  “Which ones?” the man asked.
   And Jesus replied: “‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely.  Honor your father and mother. Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
  “I’ve obeyed all these commandments,” the young man replied. “What else must I do?”
 Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
  But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
  Then Jesus said to his disciples, “I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.  I’ll say it again—it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”
 (Matthew 19:16-24) NLT

I came across this Word from God in my latest study.  This one in particular spoke an important message for my journey.  The man above held riches beyond belief.  He thrived on his wealth.  As he approached Jesus and asked what it takes to enter Heaven, Jesus simply stated, "Keep the commandments."  Instantly the man asked, "Which ones?", as if one were more important than another. 

The man informed Jesus that he abided by all those.  There must be something else he could do to confirm a place in Heaven.  So, he asked, "What else can I do?"  Jesus asked him to sell ALL his possessions and follow Him.  Those words from Jesus caused the man much grief.  He turned with his head down and walked away. 

He walked away!

Can you relate to this man?  How often does God ask something of you that seems impossible?  Has God ever asked you to rid yourself of something holding you back from further travel on your journey?  Our response may sound like this, "Anything but that God; Okay, I will give you some of that, but not all; or Are you sure, God?" 

I am completely guilty.  I remember when God clearly showed me that my Anorexia must hit the door, never to come again.  "Okay, God take my meal plan, BUT I still want my exercise.  I need that to release anxiety caused from eating again."  Quickly, He said, "NO, Sheree I want all of the Anorexia."  My stubborn mind responded, "Yes, God take my exercise regimen, BUT I still want my alcohol to numb out of the anxiety caused from losing control and so I can 'fit in'.  I still want my OCD to feel some control of my surroundings."

What do you think was His response?  God said, "Sheree, your not listening, I want it ALL, so you may follow Me and become My servant."  The 'things' we hold onto in life prevent wholehearted service to Him.  It is simple, we must deny ourselves, pick up our cross, let Him break our chains and follow Him.  All these 'things' we keep allow Satan a foothold and then he plants one lie after another.  We use those lies to justify our actions; all the while, we slip further and further from His Truth.

Denying flesh desires seems so difficult at that very moment, but reach up and ask for help.  The moment passes, the dark clears and you may move forward on your journey with Him.  One day you begin to think about it and that flesh desire hasn't been around in a while; your chain is gone.  God took care of it all.  

Desires do pop up every now and again, but less often.  Also, you realize what tools to use to persevere.  Sometimes, God reveals a piece of the chain you still hold tightly or a piece of the chain you picked back up along the way.  Satan knows our weaknesses and watches for opportunity to bind you up again.  Satan will lay down one link at a time of your chains and entice you to pick them up.  Be aware, don't let Satan win.  

I still must surrender my bondages daily, sometimes hourly.  It depends on the day.  This journey of ours is not easy.  God understands and is empathic.  Seek Him and His advice.  He knows the results and will guide your every step if only you give Him the control.  Don't walk away from Him!  He knows your heart and will bless your every obedient step.  If you should stumble, remember this one thing, God's mercies are new every morning!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for continually refining me as I walk this journey with You.  I keep picking up links that should never enter my life again.  Keep me aware of Satan's schemes and give me the strength to persevere through the lies he tries to plant in my mind.  Step in and fight the battle for me.  I am too weak to do this on my own.  Carry me in Your arms and teach me how to serve wholeheartedly.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment