Friday, August 12, 2011

Gather in Prayer

Each night our children grab a book and we head to mommy and daddy's bed to read together.  My son brings a devotion for boys and his Bible.  My daughter usually picks the same children's book each night.  She can read each page now from memorization.  I simply say the first word of the page and she finishes.  Makes my job pretty easy! 

Just recently we began a third reading from a small book my mom purchased at a yard sale.  The author intended the book to be used by a family before bedtime.  Each little lesson uses questions and/or a game to teach.  At the end, a prayer exists for the parent to read aloud.  Blank lines within the prayer allow the parent to personalize it with children's names.  The children have the chance to hear their parent praying specifically for them.  This whole process requires the parent to give full attention to the child (you need to remember their answers to questions for the prayer as well), provides the children a chance to talk about themselves (which they LOVE to do at this age) and allows them to feel loved because someone prays about them. 

We can get pretty goofy with these lessons, so laughter usually occurs.  Last night, one question asked what they want to be when they grow up.  My daughter answered, "I want to dance" (yes, I will be keeping a close eye on this girl).  Well, she got up and showed me how good she could dance.  Then, my son wanted to top her, so he got up and danced.  It was hilarious! 

We finish our night with a prayer circle.  Not your ordinary circle; just one person prays.  I can see now why families that pray together stay together.  I look forward to this time with them every day.  It is comforting knowing someone is praying for you and also exciting to pray for others TOGETHER!  The bond grows deeper each time we gather together.

"They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers." (Acts 1:14)

"And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.  Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." (James 5:15-16)

Still as an adult, I feel comfort hearing others pray for me and knowing they do so when I ask.  I have a group of ladies who pass no judgment when I ask for prayer due to a current struggle or weakness.  They listen, understand and then lift me in prayer.  Our bond grows deeper with each prayer circle we complete (we each take a turn and pray).  We never leave each other without completing a prayer circle.  I look forward to hearing what I can pray for them about and asking for prayer from them as well. 

Praying together is powerful.  The Bible lets us know where two or three gather, Jesus will be there (see Matthew 18:19-20).  As we hold hands, close our eyes and lift up any pain, sadness or concerns of others, our Father's ears perk up.  He takes in each request and delegates peace, healing, forgiveness and whatever other answers may be needed.  Constantly, we should gather in prayer.  No tragic event needs to be present, no death or sickness needs to occur; just lift others in prayer at all times.  The simplest prayers are heard and deemed important to our Creator.

Find a prayer group or partner.  It is amazing the blessings and peace you will receive as you pray for another and prayers are lifted for you as well.  Pray with your family.  The bond weakens Satan's attacks and attempts to steal the joy within a household.  Keep Satan away and God close by conversing with God each time you gather (i.e, meals, bedtime, traveling in the car, etc.). 

Pray Together - Stay Together

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for sending me great prayer partners.  I lift each one of them up to You, that they be blessed and find peace in any trial.  May each one of them stay focused on You and know that I am here to pray with them at any time.  Prayer keeps my family and I focused on You.  We hear You answer and see what steps must be taken to keep Satan's lies out.  Keep us bonded in this way always.  I love You.

Keep praying (TOGETHER) harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment