Thursday, August 11, 2011

Spread Good Seed

My thumb shines a dark black.  I normally kill off any flower received as a gift.  My mother-in-law purchased a Hen-and-Chick plant which requires little to no water.  I have kept that plant surviving for a while now :) 

My radiant black thumb may be reason why daylilies are my favorite flower.  These vigorous perennials appear rugged, adaptable and may endure in a garden for many years with little or no care.  Daylilies adapt to a wide range of soil and light conditions. They establish quickly, grow vigorously, and survive winters with little or no injury.  The flowers grow best in direct sun and tolerate very little shade.

When my family and I first moved into our current home, a patch of daylilies bloomed just outside the window of our kitchen.  I enjoyed seeing them and loved the low maintenance (I do good to take care of my two children!).  The flowers arrived year after year.  We even mowed them down when the season was over one year and yet they still bloom beautifully. 

On top of the hill we call our yard, thicket and weeds overtook the area.  As I mowed the yard yesterday, 4-5 beautiful pink daylilies caught my eye.  Among the most hideous mess, the flowers bloomed proudly and offered beauty for me to enjoy.  The flowers did not conform to its environment; however, chose to bloom and create some color.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16) 

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)

The chaos of this world, the crime all around and the mean spirits create a hideous mess surrounding us.  We as Christians must not allow the thicket and weeds to kill our beautiful spirit.  When the world attempts to 'mow' us down, stay rooted in His Truth.  Shine brightly for Him for all to see.  Don't allow Satan's lies to seep into the soil God provided.  These lies grow weeds and suffocate your spirit. 

Go in this world and teach by example.  Accept wherever God places you to spread His Truth.  Do not avoid all environments containing bad soil.  Go, take the steps He asks of you and spread your good soil.  Allow others to take a seed from you and then wait for God to water it.  Soon the good soil will overpower the bad and beautiful flowers will fill the place.  Satan will be vanquished!

Daylilies require little or no care.  Here is a difference in my analogy.  We require MUCH care.  We must read His Truth daily and allow Him to feed our spirit.  Without His Truth, there is great potential for death of our spirit.  This will lead to a willingness to become OF this world.  We must build strong roots.  God wants to establish strong vessels before asking them to be His hands and feet.  The daylilies in my backyard have strong roots hugging the soil deep down in the ground; therefore, they have the strength to continue to grow amongst thicket.  Even when we tried to destroy them by mowing them down, they refused to die off. 

Refuse to be destroyed by Satan's lies and the patterns of this world.  Go and be IN this world, doing as Jesus would do.  Be still and be led by God.  He knows when the time is right for seeds to be planted.  He will not take you anywhere He has not already gone ahead to check the surrounding.  He will care for you and never leave your side.

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for loving me.  I am amazed by Your great works.  I appreciate the colors of the land which You provide for enjoyment.  Thank You for my daylilies to serve as a reminder that good seed can be spread anywhere.  I pray for You to use me as a vessel and speak clearly to me when I should plant a seed for You to water.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig



 

No comments:

Post a Comment