Sunday, August 28, 2011

Have a Good Laugh

Too often I become busy with "stuff" in life.  I will plan out my week and see no gaps appear in the schedule.  The "stuff" usually consists of doctors appointments, playdates, work, church, etc.  None of these are bad or unhealthy events, but keep me busy nonetheless.  In comes population ME.  When will I find time to just be me and relax?

I hear others say, "I will sleep/rest/relax when I die."  Really?  I don't believe God intends that mindset for our lives.  God wants us to laugh, have fun and enjoy all of His Creation.  We get too busy and lose sight of what He created for our pleasure.  He does not expect complete seriousness and running from here to there.  We can even get caught up in completing "good works".  We must remind ourselves it is not by works, but by faith we are justified.  Relax and enjoy His Creations.  Nowadays I know that it is easier said than done.  Make it a priority, put it on the calendar and pursue joyous times so you may laugh and have fun.

Laughter is the best medicine, so "they" say!

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter
   and your lips with shouts of joy." (Job 8:21)

"Our mouths were filled with laughter,
   our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
   “The LORD has done great things for them.”
The LORD has done great things for us,
   and we are filled with joy." (Psalm 126:2-3)


 


______________________________________________________________
A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with her five and six year olds. After explaining the commandment to "honor thy father and thy mother," she asked "Is there a commandment that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sisters?" Without missing a beat one little boy answered, "Thou shall not kill."
____________________________________________________________
-A Sunday School teacher decided to have her 2 nd grade class memorize Psalm 23, one of the most quoted passages in the Bible. She gave the children a month to learn the chapter.

One little boy was excited about the task, but he just couldn't memorize the Psalm. Although he practiced and practiced, he could hardly get past the first line. The day came for the children to recite Psalm 23 before the congregation. The little boy was nervous. When his turn came, he stepped up to the microphone and proudly said, "The Lord is my Shepherd and that's all I need to know!"
_______________________________________________________________
-These sentences actually appeared in a church bulletin or were announced in a church service!

Bertha Belch, a missionary from Africa will be speaking tonight at Calvary Memorial Church in Racine. Come tonight and hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa.

Announcement in the church bulletin for a National PRAYER & FASTING conference: "The cost for attending the Fasting and Prayer conference includes meals."

"Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Don't forget your husbands."

The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
___________________________________________________________________
-A minister told his congregation, "Next week I plan to preach about the sin of lying. To help you understand my sermon, I want you all to read Mark 17."

The following Sunday, as he prepared to deliver his sermon, the
minister asked for a show of hands. He wanted to know how many had read Mark 17. Every hand went up. The minister smiled and said, "Mark has only sixteen chapters. I will now proceed with my sermon on the sin of lying."




Laugh today.  Enjoy God's presence and all He created!

God, thank you for this day.  Send laughter to my mind and mouth.  Help me not to be so serious and task driven.  Thank You for all You created for my enjoyment. I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig



No comments:

Post a Comment