Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Believe in His Promises

My son began his first day of second grade.  He rose out of bed with grumbling and complaining.  He rather still be looking at the back of his eyelids than upright and getting dressed.  Once dressed, breakfast was served (pop-tarts fresh out of the wrapper).  The conversation began a little as he became more alert.  I reminded my child where all his necessities were located (lunch money and note to be picked up after school).  His face remained blank.  I got no excitement from him, just the same reaction I feel myself when I get ready for work.

I asked to help him to the classroom with all his cargo (school supplies increase in amount each year).  He stood firm with a NO!  The confidence of this boy was amazing.  He walks with his head high and no worries.  As I drove to school, again I asked to help.  Confirmation came loud and clear from the back seat that all would be fine without me. 

Before leaving the van, I told him I wanted to check his face for food and whatnot.  An instant response shot back, "What does it matter?"  I became speechless.  This little boy could care less what criticisms could come because of appearance.  He walks in confidence knowing who he is and he likes himself.  Oh, the lessons we could learn from this seven year old boy. . .

"Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." (Romans 15:7)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 4:6-7)

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD,
   whose confidence is in him." (Jeremiah 17:7)

So we say with confidence,
   “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
   What can mere mortals do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6) 

. . .My son understands that his day is clothed in prayer.  We pray before he ventures on to school.  I confirm that I will pray throughout the day for him.  God consumes my son with His confidence. 

God helps all of us through each day.  He walks beside us and protects our hearts from the criticisms in this world.  We must trust God and believe in His promises.  He will never leave us nor forsake us.  He accepts us and loves us just as He created us.  Don't allow mortal man to steal the joy, peace and confidence we receive through Him.  The tongue is a dangerous weapon.  Be on guard and put up your shield of faith, raise your sword of the Spirit and combat every criticism with His Truth. 

Turn every worry into prayer so the peace of God can consume your mind, body and soul.  Extend the same hand of grace to others that you wish to receive.  Be less visual.  Take the time to care and seek the heart of others.  See through His eyes.

My son could care less if a chocolate milk mustache appears on his lip, pop-tart filling sits in the corner of his mouth or his hair raises in the back like Alfalfa because he knows God accepts him.  He likes himself and feels the prayers lifted up for him.  I am not saying he will feel this way always.  There will be times when appearance is everything in his world.  But, the foundation laid for him allows him to know the acceptance received from God.  Though he may venture away some, he will return to the Truth he knows. 

I struggle to remember the accepting hand God extends.  I pray continually to avoid seeking approval from man.  My thoughts must be shifted often to remember I am a servant of my Creator and I only want His approval.  He knit me together just as He wanted and sees me beautiful.  He makes no junk!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for using my son as a vessel to reach me.  I learn so much from him.  Continue using him to teach this family and all he meets.  He has it right.  Consume my every thought and make it obedient to You.  When I look in the mirror, help me to see the same reflection You see.  Remind me that my worth is found only in You and through the blood of Jesus, I am forgiven and accepted.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig


 

No comments:

Post a Comment