Thursday, April 21, 2011

Never Too Old For Discipline

I reached over on my desk to grab a pile of papers with intent to clean them out.  Among these were discipline papers we used on our son not too long ago.  These were a way to try and change some attitude and actions which a seven year old did not need in his life.  Each time my son misbehaved he sat down and filled in the blanks to five simple questions:  What did I do wrong? - Why was it wrong? - Why did I get angry? - What discipline should I receive? - Next time I will . . .

I also kept some notes on his behavior because I worried about him and did not want to overlook any underlying issue which may need further evaluation.  Basically, I listed all his wrongs.  Wow, really?  At the time it seemed the right thing to do.  I did this only out of concern, not to read back to him or to remind him later of his failure to obey.

Guess what?  We serve a God that does not keep a list of our wrongs, yet He does discipline His Children.  He disciplines because He loves us (see Hebrews 12:6-8).  He forgives before we even sin and His mercies are new every morning (see Lamentations 3:22-23).

We must also confess our sin so as to receive mercy, find peace and learn.  Concealing our sin, avoiding the truth or justifying our actions only creates destruction!  Lack of obedience and honesty only stunts our spiritual growth.  God cannot pour blessings on His Children when rebellion exists and honesty is absent.  In the same way, we keep privileges from our children each time they disobey and sneak behind our backs.  We know they are up to something every time, but wait for the confession to come.  It is after the confession that we teach and then move forward.  Our children learn and the next time hopefully choose the right decision.

"Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper,
   but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
  Blessed is the one who always trembles before God,
   but whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble."
(Proverbs 28:13-14)

Let us take on each day with a soft heart.  May we accept His discipline and be diligent students.  Let us not think we know it all and our way is the best.  His Way is the only way.

So, the discipline papers my son filled out may be applied to our lives.  As God shows us a sinful action, let us evaluate the situation by answering three of the five questions - What did I do wrong? - Why was it wrong? - Next time I will. . .  Then ask for forgiveness and for strength to do the right thing next time the situation arises in our lives. 

God thank you for this day.  Thank You for caring about me enough to discipline me and show me the ways to go.  May I always receive discipline with an open mind and soft heart.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment