Saturday, April 16, 2011

Martha or Mary?

As I prepare for guests to come visit my home, I become somewhat anxious.  I create a list in my head of what needs to be cleaned and plan out the menu.  This must be completed or my mind cannot rest at ease and enjoy the moment.  In these times, I desire perfection.  Guess what?  It AIN'T gonna happen. 

I was reminded this morning about Mary and Martha.  How can you be a Mary in a Martha world?  Well, many women struggle with this thought (maybe the reason why a whole book was written on the matter).  It is funny this comes up in my study time this morning because I just spent the night before stressing and overwhelming myself with trying to complete my list I created in my head.  No good comes from me when my mind is focused on worldly things, such as a clean house.  My family suffers and I only bring more stress on myself because of the guilt from poisonous words I spat at the family. 

 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42)

Wow, did that scripture jump off the page at me today.  Mary chose something better - to kneel at the Lord's feet and listen to what He said.  She was ready to hear what her guest had to say and focus all attention on Him.  Martha, on the other hand, continued running around cleaning, preparing the meal and completing all the tasks she saw fit.  She complained to the Lord and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” 

OUCH!! I believe I spoke those words just last night, only replace sister with husband.  My husband enjoys our home, plays with the kids and laughs the night away with them.  Meanwhile, I walk around the house 'perfecting' everything and cleaning until exhaustion.  Hmmm, which sounds better?

I am depriving myself of God's blessings by focusing on worldly desires and the approval of my guests.  I do not think my guests will arrive wearing white gloves so as to inspect my home and see if any dust or dirt appears.  If weather cooperates, they will only be in one or two rooms in my home.  Why do I focus so much on what others think of me?  I am here to serve God, not man (see Galatians 1:10) - one of my favorite verses which I need to read DAILY or HOURLY.

I need to check my focus today and assure it is on God and serving Him.  He wants me to enjoy my guests, enjoy the home He allows me to borrow while on Earth and the family He blessed me with.  What good am I to Him if I run around trying to win humans approval?  

Thank you God for today.  May I focus on You and take each step as You direct.  May all my actions serve You, not man.  May everything I do and say be all of You and none of me.  Be my hands and feet today so I may show others Your love and teach Your Truths.  Take all my anxiety away and allow me to enjoy Your blessings poured over me.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment