Sunday, April 10, 2011

From Wound to Scar

I often wonder why my mom did not warn me about the hardships of parenthood.  I envisioned changing diapers, playing games, hugging much and keeping the bellies full.  WELL, not how it works.  I am finding life as a mom to be dramatic, exhausting, scary and just plain overwhelming.

My latest drama occurred last night when my little one decided to jump around on the couch (which was a rule but now will be enforced) and fell backwards.  Her head met the windowsill.  OUCH!  I did not realize the severity until I discovered a huge gash.  So, off the the ER we went. 

My little one continually stated she was okay, letting us know she did not want to go to the doctor.  On the drive to the ER (15 minutes - felt like 40), daddy tried to console her.  He let her know this is the best thing for her and she will be all better once the doctors stitch the wound and allow it to heal.

He prayed with her to ease some anxiety and give it to God.  She still cried off and on, but God guided her through each trying moment during our visit.  We took her for ice cream afterwards (which heals everything, right?)!

Let us take this episode and apply it to our own 'hurts'.  My daughter cried in fear - fear of doctors, of the outcome, of pain and of an unknown experience.  We often cry in fear of these same things when trials come at us.  We must turn those tears into prayers.  Cry out to Him and He will deliver you from your troubles (see Psalm 34:17).  Though we may experience many wounds, God can heal. 

 "The LORD builds up Jerusalem;
   he gathers the exiles of Israel.
He heals the brokenhearted
   and binds up their wounds.
He determines the number of the stars
   and calls them each by name.
Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
   his understanding has no limit." (Psalm 147:2-5)

Whether your wound  be physical or emotional, it will hurt.  But take heart knowing God heals.  We serve a God whose mighty power has no limit.  Turn to Him in all times and cast all your anxieties on Him.  My daughter needed to calm down and not fight the doctors so they could do their job and bind her wound.  In the same way, we must calm down and not fight God to heal our hurts.  Give it all to Him and see the healing process take place.  Know that God never wastes a hurt!

My daughter's wound eventually will become a scar, a memory.  Our hurts will leave scars, not for us to remember the hurt, but to remember the healing.  We build faith upon each of those scars, remembering the comfort we received and spreading that comfort to others.  God uses us as walking testimonies to show His comfort, love and care.

So my daily life does not always turn out as I would have it, but God has better plans for me.  So my parenting experiences are not easy going, but God is with me through it all.  I would not trade any moment of my life. 

God thank you for this day.  Thank You for showing Your love and mercy with each hard time we encounter.  May each event bring us closer to You.  May my children rely on You with each hurt so You may heal.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig   

No comments:

Post a Comment