Friday, July 1, 2011

What's in a Promise

Three hours at the zoo in the hot sun was enough for my daughter and I.  She began to meltdown and needed a nap.  My husband, son and his friend continued to look at the last few animal houses.  After the insect house, we headed for the car.  Along the way, we approached the reptile house.  The boys bubbled with excitement because they knew a promise was made to go into this exhibit.  My husband and I looked at each other and agreed to revise the plan. 

"We are headed to the car to go get ice cream boys."
      "But you promised this would be the last exhibit."
"We need to go.  You guys can look at this next time."
     "A promise is a promise!"

What do you say to that?  My husband took one for the team and turned around to take them to see the reptiles.  I kept walking with my daughter to distract her from melting down even more.

Promise Definition
A declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow. 

We live in a society of empty promises.  Some do not occur due to things out of your control.  For example, you promise the family a trip to an amusement park and when the day comes, rain consumes the day.  While, others do not occur due to your choosing.  For example, you promise to go visit a friend in need or play ball with your child in the back yard.  Instead, a chore or task consumes your time.  

People will let us down here on Earth.  I am guilty of making empty promises.  Sometimes they are made just to get a child to go play so I can complete a task at hand.  Others are made because my intentions are good, but my schedule does not allow time to fulfill the promise. 

One promise remains which will never be broken - the promise of Eternal life with God.  He will not let us down.  Nothing will stand in the way of Him completing this promise but ourselves.  All we must do is believe in Him, take Him as our Lord and Savior and continue to step in faith to follow Him.  We may fall or stumble along the road, but if our faith remains and we surrender to Him, the promise is kept.  How simple!

"in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time," (Titus 1:2)

"As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.  And this is what he promised us—eternal life."
(1 John 2:24-25)

"But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe." (Galatians 3:22)

Hope in Him, who does not lie, never leaves nor forsakes us and loves unconditionally.  He will complete all His promises.  Don't allow your relationship and opinions of God to be based off human characteristics.  We cannot fathom the love He holds for each of us.  Scripture confirms His promises over and over.  Read His Truth so to bubble with excitement in knowing what promises lay ahead.

God, thank you for today.  Thank You for all the promises given to me.  I stumble daily, yet know that Your hands pick me up and provide comfort.  Your mercy is amazing.  Thank You for being patient with this slow learner.  Throughout everything, I believe and place my faith in You.  May I take each step in concordance with Your Will for my life.  Help me to fulfill my promises to my children so they trust me.  You appointed me the job of motherhood, may I carry out the job with You at the center.  I love You. 

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment