Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Only Source of Love

"Maybe you don't need the whole world to love you; maybe you just need one person."
     -Kermit the Frog

Okay, so I know Kermit is a fictional character, controlled by a puppeteer.  But, I think there is something to be said about this quote.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

"know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified." (Galatians 2:16) 

We waste so much energy trying to please the people of this world.  We want to be loved by someone in the flesh.  It feels so good to hear "I love you," from a parent, friend, spouse or child.  Being a part of a group brings pleasure, joy and a purpose.  

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." (Galatians 1:10)

Among worldly relationships, we must work to be loved and accepted.  No one person can please everyone else.  Trust me, I have tried and failed numerous times.  With each failed attempt came rejection, sadness, anger towards myself and digging further into my pit.  What was wrong with me that others would not accept meWhy was it so bad to live with me or have a relationship with meWhat did I do wrong?

Guess what my friends?  God loves us without conditions.  He looks at our hearts, not our appearance.  He does not rack up a list of all our works here and then love the one whose list is the longest.  NO, He loves us because we are His children.  The only thing He asks is to believe in Him, take each step in faith and accept Him into your life.

People look at our appearance and, sadly, criticize any flaw they can find.  Upon completing work for another, they accept us and give thanks.  Saying no to the task presents the possibility of rejection.  Now don't get me wrong, God loves for us to help one another and be His hands and feet.  The problem occurs when our motives behind doing the work is to gain love, to feel proud or fulfill a void inside.  We need love only from one source - God our Father.

Okay, I may be strange to receive this message through a green frog.  But it just goes to show God uses any willing thing or person to spread His Truths.  Keep your eyes open and yours ears alert to Him.  As long as we walk in faith, He will fulfill our every desire.  The world will let us down, love by works and drain our emotions - take heart, He has overcome this world (see John 16:33).  Accept His love.

God, thank you for today.  Thank You for loving me for me.  Keep me focused on You and not trying to gain love from this world.  So many times I have allowed people to bring me down and feel unlovable.  I know You created me and love every piece, mind, body and soul.  May I reflect Your Image in everything I do and say.  Use me to spread Your Truths.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig     

No comments:

Post a Comment