Friday, July 22, 2011

Grab His Hand

I mowed my yard early yesterday to avoid the heat.  I normally push most of the back yard, but did the minimum this time so to use the rider for the rest.  I figured the heat had less impact on my body driving a mower rather than pushing one. 

As I approached the corner in the back of our house with the rider, I became stuck.  I remained in this dip for what seemed like too long.  I maneuvered this way and that way, but the wheels kept spinning.  After much fighting and frustration, I lifted up a prayer to God.  Sure enough, He showed me a way out through my neighbor's yard.  I was able to come back to our yard by a different route.

Again, I found myself in the same predicament the next time around.  I thought maybe it would be different this time if I just went at it from a different angle.  WRONG.  I fell into the same dip.  I spent less time trying to get out my way and quickly remembered the way God instructed for me to get out.

Yes, again I came to the same dip.  You may be sensing now that I am stubborn.  This time was different than the others.  I remembered God's Way and did not even question His capabilities to get me out of this mess.  No frustration appeared, only gratitude to my Guide!

"If after all this you will not listen to me, I will punish you for your sins seven times over.  I will break down your stubborn pride and make the sky above you like iron and the ground beneath you like bronze.  Your strength will be spent in vain, because your soil will not yield its crops, nor will the trees of your land yield their fruit." (Leviticus 26:18-20)

"But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They went backward and not forward." (Jeremiah 7:24)

"He guides the humble in what is right
   and teaches them his way." (Psalm 25:9) 

 
How often does our pride keep us stuck in a rut?

We believe we know how to get out of a mess, we know the words to use in a tough conversation and we have the strength to get through a sad situation.  We could not be more wrong.  The 'I can' must leave our vocabulary and be replaced by 'only through Him'.  Our ears must remain open to His ways.

God spoke loudly to me on this very subject this week.  I remained in a deep pit of past mistakes.  While in this place, I blamed others, fought back the tears, refused to listen and tried to get out alone.  Not only did I continue in this pit, but with each stubborn thought I fell deeper.  I realized my pride must be crushed to receive help.  He Truth leads me out of my dark pits. 

So why do we continue to visit the same pits?  I believe we learn slowly.  Our flesh wants the glory.  It feeds on accomplishment and good works.  Our pride loves acknowledgement of victory.  When we approach life with these goals in mind, we quickly end up in the same pit. 

God extends His hand each time one of His children experiences trouble.  The problem occurs when we deny His hand try through our own strength.  Only through Him can we gain strength to release any bondage keeping us in our pits.  After surrendering the bondage, do not return.  Avoid the same trouble and continue the way He clearly showed you.  Remember in the light what you learned in the dark.  Give Him the glory.  He shines through tough times and others will see Him through you.

God, thank you for today.  Continue guiding my ways.  Crush my stubborn character, soften my heart and humble my spirit.  Consume me inside-out so I may follow You and not my flesh desires.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment