Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Alive Again

My husband and I met in high school.  We dated for a year and then I moved with my parents to Kentucky and finished out school.  The long distance relationship lasted for a short bit.  We communicated by phone and wrote letters.  On the weekends we visited each other if possible, the drive was about four hours.  Slowly, the relationship became too difficult to keep alive!

I never could shake the love, the fun and joy I experienced with him from my heart.  Brian left an imprint on my heart that never went away.  We continued to write letters when given the chance.  I communicated with his family as well.  I would sit and dream about getting back with him someday.  Life moved on, with much difficulty.  The chaos in life damaged the memories of the fun, joy and love I once had.  It was sad!

One day, when the time seemed right, I wrote a letter to Brian.  The day he received his letter from me, I received one from him.  Fate?  NO.  This story has God's hands all over it!  We decided to meet up again.  My heart raced as I drove the four hours to see him again.  I tried to look my best, wanting to impress him.  I wondered, 'What would I first do when I saw him?' 

Well, the rest is history.  He could not resist falling in love with this beauty again!  Okay, so I am the one who could not resist, but the other way just sounds a lot better.  We married and now enjoy each day together!

Do you ever feel your relationship with God could mimic such a story as I just described?

"To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.  They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good." (Titus 1:15-16)

Often we begin with God in our hearts, knowing the love, joy and fun He places before us.  We venture off on long distance trips of shame, guilt, sin, lies or addictions.  Slowly, the distance placed by our actions kills the relationship with Him.  Life continues in chaos and misery.  Though God's imprint remains on our hearts, the empty prayers and hypocritical actions do not allow for His love to consume us.  The experiences we had with Him slowly fade and many times cannot be brought to memory.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate." (Luke 15:24) - Story of the Prodigal Son!

One day, when His timing is right, you realize this dead life is enough.  You want to go home to Him.  You know the only place to live is in His arms.  Run to Him, He waits with arms wide open!  As you approach Him, your heart may race, tears may flow and you try to look your best.  Guess what?  He wants you just as you are, humbled before His feet.  Let Him consume your heart with love, joy, peace, fun and forgiveness. 

The same way Brian's family accepted me right back in, so will God's family.  Our family of believers rejoices with each child coming home.  A celebration occurs each time one child allows God to embrace him/her.  The angels sing with gladness. 

Leave the sinful life, run to freedom.  Freedom only found through Him.  I followed my heart, God accepted me with open arms and He now guides me through each healing step one at a time.  Even better, He teamed me up with the one person on Earth that I have loved since the moment my eyes looked his way!  God is Awesome.  Allow Him into your life and just sit and let Him work.  He wants so badly to express His love to you.

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for the plans You have for my life.  I am running to You for answers, healing, love and grace.  I know You sit and wait for me to allow You to work.  Thank You for each blessing You provide.  I love You!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment