Saturday, July 30, 2011

Extend Grace

Many people in our lives bring excitement, joy, love and fun times.  There are those who always turn our sadness to laughter.  Our relationships feel strong and rooted.  Communication, prayer and time keep these connections stable. 

Each member of the relationship blesses the other.  As one falls, the other steps in to lift up their spirit.  When one cries out in need, the other comes to provide help.  When one experiences trials, the other prays with and for them.  Where one lacks, the other provides.  We thank God for these relationships, each time the thought crosses our mind.  We long to see if too much time slips by.

"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.  God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you  in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you." (Romans 1:8-10)

It feels natural and easy to love these people.  Our common ground allows for happiness, not conflict.  What about those individuals in life who seem HARD to love?  Those who bring sadness, pain, tears, hatred and depression with each visit.  Avoidance would seem the right solution. 

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Colossians 3:12-14)

"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Matthew 5:43-45)

God asks for all His Children to love one another and forgive as He forgives.  Set the example for the other in a relationship.  Don't allow the decision and actions of another to determine your mood.  Have fun, be kind, show patience and extend a hand of grace; you will find, little by little the other will mimic your behavior.  Persevere in loving those we feel should not receive goodness.  We are not the judge.  Lift those in prayer and God will begin working diligently to soften the heart of both in a relationship.  God does not choose favorites.  Let us do the same.

I have experienced some difficult relationships.  Some I felt were severed beyond repair.  I decided to pray hard for guidance, restoration and forgiveness.  My hand began to extend grace.  Quickly, the other reciprocated the action.  Granted, it takes two for this to occur.  If you feel one-sided, continue to pray and be patient.  God will take care of all the details in His timing.

Some restoration of relationships may be unhealthy to both or one party.  God will place on your heart when it is necessary to keep distance.  The distance does not mean forgiveness cannot occur.  Forgive and continue to pray for the other.  We all want the best for another; prayer helps.

Challenge: Who could you write a letter to and extend your thanks for their love, kindness and friendship?
Who could you write a letter to and extend grace and/or forgiveness?

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for the grace given to me.  May I extend my hand in grace in all my relationships.  Thank You for all my friends, family and loved ones.  You surround me with such great people.  Show me others who need to know the love You hold for them.  Work through me to teach and lead others to You.  Thank You for the laughter, fun times, love and joy You provide in my life.  I love our relationship and yearn to grow closer to You each day.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment