Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tune Your Dial

I enjoy listening to music.  I listen to each word and apply the lyrics to my life.  I have always done so, even as a young teen.  I recall sitting in my car, cranking up the harshest song and singing out loud to release overwhelming emotions.  Escaping through those songs felt freeing. 

At that point in life, the music was simply that - an escape.  As a song ended or I reached my destination, life struggles still remained.  No healing took place by listening to these secular, harsh, poisonous songs.  These were just another means for me to fill my mind with sinful thoughts, lies from Satan.  Though I sought comfort in these songs, I only escalated the anger and remained empty.

"An honest witness tells the truth,
   but a false witness tells lies.
The words of the reckless pierce like swords,
   but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Truthful lips endure forever,
   but a lying tongue lasts only a moment." (Proverbs 12:17-19)

My ears hear negative words every where I travel.  Words play a huge part in how we manage our emotions.  If lies continually feed our mind, then healing and comfort will never be found.  If negative words infest our mouth, then joy cannot live inside.  Some anger, sadness or struggles may lessen for a short bit, but those emotions will return quickly with one minor trigger.

So, where do we turn to hear the Truth, to gain wisdom and receive a lasting joy?

It is simple - God!  Tune your dial to a local Christian radio station, write Scripture down on cards to carry with you daily and engage in conversation with God throughout your whole day.  God recently showed me why I lacked peace in a specific area; I failed to bring Him with me.  I felt I needed to get 'through' that time alone.  WRONG!  I now take my Scripture cards, keeping them in eyesight and reading them with every chance.  It is not enough just to fill yourselves with His Truth an hour or two before leaving the house; we need to refuel ourselves throughout the day with Him. 

It amazes me how just the right song comes on the station when I start my car.  A hug comes at just the right time.  Someone tells me, "I love you."  A need is met before I even begin to stress.  These are God's little ways to show me He cares.  He lets me know He is near and everything will be okay.  He's got my back!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for building up Your Children to provide music to praise You.  Continue with me each step of each day.  I know I must refuel myself throughout the day.  I cannot just leave You at home.  I need You most when I face this fallen world.  Use me as a vessel to spread Your Truth to those searching.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment