Sunday, June 26, 2011

No Record of Strikes

He puts on his uniform, grabs his equipment and heads for the car.  Upon arrival, my son approaches the field with his head high.  He is ready to enjoy the great game of baseball. 

The lineup hangs on the fence.  The first pitch is thrown and the game begins.  My son steps up to the plate.  Strike one; "Good swing, buddy."  Strike two; "That one was a bit high, keep your eye on the ball."  Strike three; "You are out sweetheart, come sit down."  His whole demeanor changed.  He walks away with bat dragging, tears in his eyes and lies swarming in his mind that he failed. 

How do you tell a seven year old that it is just a game?  How do you explain that his worth does not rely on a single, double, triple or homerun?  How do you find the words to console and heal a little boy's broken spirit?

"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you." (1 Samuel 12:23-24)

"Start children off on the way they should go,
   and even when they are old they will not turn from it."
(Proverbs 22:6)

I know my son needs to learn that there may be someone better than him at things, but does he need to learn it already?  In my eyes, he is still my little man - sweet and innocent.  I cry when I see the world taint his confidence.  My little man does not deserve to feel down on himself.  BUT, it is going to happen.  I, as his mom, must prepare myself for this and pray for God to provide the words needed to uplift and shift my little man's focus back to positive things. 

Last night, my husband and I talked with him and brought out the reasons for baseball.  We planted positive seeds.  He knows God wants these experiences to be beneficial for him.  The memories, the friendships created, the joy of being outside and the blessing of being physically able to play far outweigh that one strikeout or that play not made.  God does not record strikes. 

To serve the Lord faithfully and with all your heart is to stay focused on His Truths.  Take every step in God-Confidence, not relying on personal performance to define our worth.  God makes no junk!  He created each of us to live every day given to the fullest; carrying out the blueprint He carefully drew for our lives. 

As a parent, I must shift my focus on the positive things God holds for my son.  I must see beyond this small blink of time.  God has big plans for my little man.  His heart, gifts and mind will be used for such great works to further God's Kingdom.  My husband and I must continue to nourish his character with The Truth and pray daily for each of our children.  Then we can be at peace, knowing the foundation established will continue to strengthen as they turn to Him for answers. 

God, thank you for today.  Thank You for blessing me with two precious children.  May I teach them through Your Truths so they may recognize Satan's lies.  Satan works to deceive even the youngest generation.  Keep my children looking up to You and following the straight path.  May I be a soft, loving place to come should they fall into temptation or veer off the path in life.  May I show them by example and let them know You pick them up, dust them off and place them back on track.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig   

No comments:

Post a Comment