Thursday, June 9, 2011

Marshmallow, Anyone?

Our Vacation Bible School leader asks the children to reach deep in their pockets for one large 'marshmallow'.  The countdown begins for the little ones to pop the 'marshmallow' in their mouths. 
3... 2... 1...  POP!

Suddenly, silence spans the room full of about 80 preschoolers with mouths full of an imaginary marshmallow.  Then, prayer begins.  We kneel down, fold our hands, listen to the leader and repeat the prayer.  Our whole being fully engages in conversation with God. 

"Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.  Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,  because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free."
(Ephesians 6:6-8) 

As I kneel down with my daughter, she closes her eyes, folds her hands ever so tightly and with such an innocent small voice prays to God.  I know God sees and hears these prayers and smiles upon His Children.  She concentrates on this conversation and enjoys every part of speaking to God.  Her faith is gigantic.

Do you ever feel you need to put a 'marshmallow' in your mouth?  Ever need to drop to your knees, be still and pray to God?  Does your faith feel shaken at times?

I find myself saying, "But God. . ." oh too often.  I need to stock up on 'marshmallows' and shove them in my mouth.  I must drop to my knees and surrender myself to God daily.  As I do this, I better able myself to serve Him wholeheartedly.  Too often I am running here or there to please people in my life.  When I seek approval from people, I do not seek Him with all my heart and lose sight of His Plan (see Jeremiah 29:12-13).

We need to restore our faith daily, feeding it through prayer.  These preschoolers got it right when they kneel to God with open ears and sincere hearts.  Satan prowls around trying to steal our joys and faith.  He bashes our dreams and passions, leaving us destroyed.  We feel so weak and remain blind to our one True God.  Remember, God gave His only Son to die on the cross for us, so we may have life.  Our sins were washed away with the death of Jesus.  Satan is defeated!  We need only accept this, surrender everything to Him and our eyes will clearly see the straight path.  

God, thank You for this day.  May I put my 'marshmallow' in my mouth and hear You today.  May I veer away from my selfish ambitions, my wants to please flesh and turn to You.  Thank You for loving and forgiving me each day.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 


No comments:

Post a Comment