Saturday, June 4, 2011

Crossing The Line

Exercise
Alcohol
Food
Email
Facebook
Television

These amenities exist in the 21st century.  Amenity in the context I am using means - a useful or pleasant facility or service.  Email and Facebook provide a quick way to contact a person without picking up the phone.  Exercise provides a peace and keeps our bodies functioning.  Food and alcohol can be used as celebration.  Television offers relaxation after a long day at work.

All are great in moderation.  A thin line exists between moderation and bondage.  We come into this world with a void.  God remains the only fill for this void.  Nothing in this world can bring the peace which He provides, a lasting peace (see John 14:27).

"Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.  Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh."
 (Romans 13:13-14)

"Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.  Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,  speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,"
(Ephesians 5:17-19) 

Extreme indulgence in sensual pleasures; dissipation defines debauchery.  Acting as such results in crossing the line between moderation and bondage.  As we please our flesh and search to fill our void with things OF this world, we walk further away from God.  He does not want to compete for your attention. 

Just as children turn their ears off each time they speak; as we begin to surround ourselves with worldly pleasures, our ears somehow shut off to His Truths.  We slowly move into bondage and feel empty. 

I must keep a close watch of where my mind travels.  I am prone to addiction.  Whatever 'feels' good, I go for it.  As a Christian, I must be still and wait for God to guide me.  Though I feel temptations (lies from Satan) to be OF this world, I do not sin until I indulge and turn somewhere besides Him to fill my void.  His Truths set me free and I pray every day to not turn back, keep focused on Him and take each step forward in faith. 

The awesome part about Our Creator is that He knows we fall.  Yet, He forgives us each and every time.  I am forgiven for all the wrong decisions I made in life and continue to make.  It is a learning process and I must continually place my mind in the right direction.  We must not fall victim to Satan and exercise out of punishment for eating, drink to escape, deprive ourselves of food or overeat to numb out, attach ourselves emotionally to a person via email or Facebook, and we must not strive to be like any person in the media.

God, thank You for this day.  Thank You for keeping Your Truths close to me so I may stay focused.  Provide the strength I need to steer clear of worldly pleasures to feel peace.  I know only through You will I find lasting peace.  I must rid myself of all my addictions and turn to You always.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment