Friday, June 17, 2011

100% Effort

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
(1 Thessalonians 5:11)

My husband officiates in various sports.  As the kids and I attend his games, we often hear rough language thrown at the officials from the stands, coaches getting at the players because they failed to run the play or parents telling their kids what moves must be made.  The only time any positive feedback comes is when a player scores or the game is won.

Last night I encountered a much prettier scene.  My seven year old son had a baseball game.  As I stood in the dugout, I heard coaches from both teams speaking positive words to each player.  These boys grinned from ear to ear and their little hearts played the game with 100% effort.  One kid hit a ball to the edge of infield and safely landed at first base.  The coach walked all the way over from the mound (we still play coach pitch) and gave him high-five.  The opposite coach continually praised my son (catcher) on his performance.  Our coaches encouraged and taught the boys the game of baseball.

A few times, I would see a kid looking into the stands and listening to a parent's voice.  I am not sure of the content spoken, but I did see the players stay focused on the coach's words and obey instructions.  These coaches serve as role models for the players and gain respect through encouraging words.

"Anxiety weighs down the heart,
   but a kind word cheers it up." (Proverbs 12:25)
 

The game of life must be played with 100% effort.  We serve a God who continually cheers for us.  He does not give up on His Creation.  His words always uplift, His hands remain open and ready to give a high-five.  He keeps no record of our wrongs, never speaks with rough language and kindly teaches us where to go.

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
   I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)
 

Just as the players focused on the words of their coaches, we need to focus on God's Words.  Tune out all of Satan's lies, the negative remarks from others and  the critical views we hold for ourselves.  Know that through Him all things are possible.  He will provide the strength needed to carry out His plan.  Listen closely, for when you feel like giving up or the game is a loss, He is there to pick you up and cheer you on!

Yes, we may strike out a few times, but it is okay!  Many more innings lay ahead.  Learn from each strike at bat so the next time you hit a homerun.  Accept Him as your Lord and Savior and your name remains on the roster of the winning team.  The Greatest Coach of all leads this team. 

God, thank you for today.  Thank You for placing me on Your roster.  I am here for You to play any position on Your team.  I know You will provide whatever tools or gifts I need to succeed.  Thank You for cheering me on throughout each day.  This day is for You, may I go and serve You with 100% effort.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment