Saturday, December 24, 2011

Thank You Mary!

The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.  But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God.  You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.  He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
(Luke 1:28-33)


And Mary said:
   “My soul glorifies the Lord
 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
   of the humble state of his servant. . .
(Luke 1:46-48)

I would like to think if an angel appeared to me with such news as Mary received that I would obey without question.  I would like to think that my heart would fill with thanks and my faith strengthened all the more.  I would like to think I would not deny the wonderful works of God to merely save a reputation.  Yes, rejection, trials and emotions may come with obeying; BUT, I would know this is His plan.  He works all things out for the good of those who love Him and obey Him and follow His Will.

Mary did just that.  She simply responded to the angel by saying, "I am the Lord's servant.  May your word to me be fulfilled." (Luke 1:38)  And with that, the angel left and the Holy Spirit consumed Mary to carry child.  Not just any child, the Son of God!  Had she contested or refused this wonderful task, where would we be now?

How many times has God placed a task on your heart and you contested or refused?  How many excuses did you try to reason with God and explain that this is too great a task for you?  Do you realize with Whom you are speaking?  

Obeying His Will may not make you popular.  Obeying His Will may cause strife in your family.  Obeying His Will may bring discomfort for a little while.  But, our purpose here is not to please "men".  God created us to serve Him and work according to His Will.  Conforming to the patterns of this world only leads to destruction.  Renew yourself daily with Truth and see His plan is perfect.  Following Him brings unexplainable peace and a room created just for you in Heaven. 

I thank Mary for obeying.  Without Jesus, life is not worth living.  But, since Mary said YES and served wholeheartedly; we received the greatest gift of all - Jesus.  He came to earth as a small baby, lived among us, set the example, died for our sins and rose to Heaven so the Holy Spirit may come down and live within us daily. 

Will you say YES to Jesus?  Will you begin today to follow His example?  Will you surrender and offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God?  Will you be a Mary?

I challenge you to examine your life and see which area you find difficult to give to God.  Since Mary gave her whole being to God, millions of lives have been saved.  Do not think of yourself any less.  As you place your life in His hands, millions of lives can and will be saved!

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for sending the Holy Spirit to consume Mary and bring Your only Son to live among us.  Thank You for Him.  Keep my mind focused on you and not the patterns of this world.  I surrender all to You today and let You use me as a vessel.  May my words be Yours.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment