Thursday, December 29, 2011

Further His Kingdom

I just returned from vacation with my daughter, my best friend and her daughter.  She had been driving the final stretch in our van.  When arriving at their home, she parked the car and turned off the headlights.  We kept the vehicle running while carrying in her luggage.  Goodbyes were said.  Then I plopped in the driver's seat and proceeded to leave. 

Street lights shone brightly.  I helped my daughter get all she needed to be content for the short journey to our home.  I turned the heat up a little, handed her a blanket, pushed play on the DVD player and continued to make my way back to the main street.  I knew my way around these streets quite well.  I pulled up to a stop sign and called my husband.  Then, I turned right onto the main street, homeward bound. 

I passed a policeman and quickly, he turned his car around.  He gained speed on me and at first I thought maybe I did not stop COMPLETELY at the stop sign.  Maybe it was more like a pause.  Of course, blue and red lights begin flashing.  I tell my husband I must call him back.  I pulled over and the nice gentleman came upon my window.  I thought for sure I was going to be cited for failure to stop completely (which is $132.00 in our town).  He came up and informed me that my headlights were off.  The lights remained in parking position so I could read my dash, but the road was dark. 

I had no idea because I had not reached an area of complete darkness yet.  The street lights were sufficient.  I received a warning.  Without that warning, I could have driven in the darkness and wrecked.  Without that warning, I may never reach home sweet home.

“Again, when a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before them, they will die. Since you did not warn them, they will die for their sin. The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.  But if you do warn the righteous person not to sin and they do not sin, they will surely live because they took warning, and you will have saved yourself.” (Ezekiel 3:20-21)

Thanks to that event, I will check twice before driving away that my headlights are on fully.  If the policeman avoided pulling me over, both of us would be in trouble.  He may be reprimanded if caught not fulfilling his purpose as a policeman and I stand the chance of wrecking.  He could have avoided the hassle of filling out a warning, taking time to pull me over and continued on his merry way.  He may have been going back to the station to clock out for the night.  Maybe his family waits at home for him to return to eat a nice supper together.  He may have not felt his best and really did not feel like getting out in the cold to write some scatterbrained woman a warning.  So many excuses could have kept him from doing what he knew was right.

Don't we hear those excuses daily when opportunity comes to spread the Good News?  Do you ever listen to those excuses while watching another allow sin consume their lives?

We must fulfill our purpose in every situation and with every opportunity.  The purpose - furthering His Kingdom, warning others about where sin leads and spreading Truth.  Failing to do so, affects our journey with God.  Avoid the excuse that someone else will do it, I just do not feel well today, maybe at another time or I don't want that person to hate me.  Lift that person up in prayer and God will show you the Way to teach and warn against sin.  He will provide the words and strength.  Trust in Him!

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for providing Truth to follow, lead, teach, rebuke and correct.  Help me use Your Word to help others consumed in sin.  Lead me to those that will be touched by my story and places where seed needs planted.  I am here, use me as Your vessel.  Also, let me heed warning given to me from others when I sin.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment