Saturday, December 3, 2011

Love One Another as He has Loved You

Often throughout the day my daughter expresses a measurement of her love for me.  She will tell me, "Mommy, I love you to Uncle Chris' house and back."  Chris lives in Wisconsin, while we live in Indiana (about an 8 hour drive).  Later, she will tell me, "Mommy, I love you to Nana's house and back."  Now, this distance is only about 5 minutes.  Obviously I did something to lessen the degree of love received. 

When my daughter tells me these things, I respond that I love her to the moon and back.  She stands firm on her measurements and believes her love is greater than mine.  She usually smiles at me, hugs me and kisses me.  Then, she returns to whatever baby doll she was tending to before our quick, but meaningful conversation. 

Can love really be measured?

"Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God."
(1 Peter 1:22-23)

"We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death.  Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him." (1 John 3:14-15)

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." (1 John 4:10-12)

Okay, so God does not lay out an exact measurement for us to reach in love with one another.  But, He speaks numerous times on the subject of love.  I listed just a few examples.  As you can see, love is a necessary component in following God.  God speaks not about a passive act of love towards each other or to create some list of actions to appear as a loving individual.  He never mentions to love only the ones who make it easy to love.  Speaking the words out loud without deep, heartfelt meaning does not express the love God intends either.  Any person can say the words, but do you really feel the love in your heart?

God wants us to love one another deeply.  If we lack love, we do not allow Him to live in us and therefore, remain in death.  God loved us so much that He gave His only Son, while we remained in sin, to die for us and wash it all clean.  Jesus did not put a limit on His love for us.  He did not reject us because we hurt Him, refused to believe in Him, beat Him, nailed Him to a cross to watch Him die and still refuse to believe.  This fact alone is more than enough desire to obey and follow His commands; to love Him back by loving others.  We should strive to be like Him and love as He loved.  Ask for the Holy Spirit to come and shine through you in love.

In the present time, our love for another may decrease because someone left the toilet seat up, forgot to feed the dog, did not send a birthday card, failed to call and check on you, refused to respond to an email or text, avoided your call or stood you up for a date.  Then, there are times when love decreases due to adultery, lying, stealing from you, repeated offenses or constant disappointment.  Well, no matter the degree of hurt or frustration, we must forgive.  God says to forgive 70X7.  Now, He does not want you to keep a tally and once you hit 490 apologies, you are done.  No, the point is to forgive endlessly.  Love one another deeply from the heart.  When my kids say a word I do not want coming out of their mouths, I make them "spit" it out and throw it like a baseball out of their vocabulary.  Well, I ask you now to take the word hate, "spit" it out, and throw it out of your vocabulary.  Do not allow hate to take over your heart.

God does not keep a list of wrongs.  He forgives, loves and comforts.  We must strive to be this way as we love each other.  As Jesus hung on the cross He looked up at His Father and said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."  When another person hurts you or does wrong, more often than not, they do not know any better.  Sometimes, they have no idea they are even hurting you.  So, confront them with a loving, healing heart.  Teach them and guide them in Truth.

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for loving me and forgiving me.  Teach me to love others as You love me.  Send Your Holy Spirit to guide me and show me the steps needed to extend a hand in love.  Help me rid myself of anger or hate towards anyone who may disappoint, offend or hurt me.  Help me see them through Your eyes.  Help me reach a hand out to help them because I know that hurting people, hurt people.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig    

No comments:

Post a Comment