Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pain is Beauty

My husband and I recently purchased a new dresser to match our new decor in our bedroom.  My dad helped me bring the new one to our house and move out the old one.  I lifted only the drawers and helped a bit on the steps outside to move the old one to his truck.  The dressers were awkward to carry.  No matter how we tried position it, we could not carry it comfortably. 

After he left with the old dresser, I attempted to move the new one into our room.  It sat in our living room, so I needed to walk down our hall and into our bedroom.  The drawers were out of it, so I carried it from the inside and propped it on my shoulder.  I made it all the way to our bedroom door, then took a little rest.  I moved it the final, short distance by hugging it and lifting.  Once positioned correctly, I placed our small TV on top.  I say the TV is small, but it too is awkward because the shape is rectangular, not perfectly squared.  All looked perfect for my husband to see when he arrived home from work. 

I will admit; I should not have carried that much weight.  During the whole process, my muscles felt uncomfortable and stretched greatly.  I actually think I even pulled a few.  But, I kept focus on my goal to complete the work so my husband could see the beauty of our new, completed room.  I refused to give up, endured the short suffering and carried the dresser.  I heard my mom say when we were young, "Pain is beauty."  Well, pain resulted from that event, but our room looks beautiful.

"Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." (Matthew 16:23-25)

I recently read in Kyle Idleman's book, "not a fan", about carrying our cross.  Following Jesus will bring pain and suffering to our flesh as we deny ourself, give all to God and follow Him daily.  Kyle describes how carrying a cross cannot be comfortable, no matter the position.  He says, "If there is no sacrifice involved, if you're not at least a little uncomfortable, then there is a good chance that you aren't carrying a cross."

Followers of God no longer know comfort.  They work daily for Him and to further His Kingdom.  In this, a follower must give their whole being to God daily.  The flesh no longer can receive pleasure.  God is serious when He delegates your purpose for your life.  He brought you to life for a reason.  Denying oneself daily will bring pain and suffering; confrontation and rejection from this world; loss of control and constant stretching of faith.  Forget your own pleasures, but focus on the prize of Eternal life with our God. 

I have soreness from carrying that awkward, heavy load that night.  But, the beauty of our room is worth this temporary pain.  Our lives will bring beauty when we deny ourselves daily and carry our awkward, heavy crosses.  We will be stretched, broken and hurt in the flesh;  but the beauty we will see in Heaven and the words spoken as we enter, "Well done, good and faithful servant," are worth it!  Followers of God live each moment for Him.  God shines through His followers in every circumstance and provides strength when carrying their cross for Him.

What cross must you carry as a follower?
Mine include: eating properly, sacrificing for others, avoiding alcohol, throwing my "me" box away for my marriage and kids.  Also, carrying my cross has cost me friendships, pleasures in life and MY itinerary for the day.  I have received ridicule and crazy looks. 

These things are the least I can do to return the love our God shines on me.  I surrender my soul to Him.  He gave His only Son to die for me and wash away all my sins.  Will you choose to follow Him and complete His purpose for your life?  The pain and suffering is temporary and builds faith, strength and hope for the coming of our God.  Jesus carried the cross up to die and give His life to His Father.  Will you take up your cross and die today for your Father?  Though, it may be awkward, uncomfortable and tough; it is all for His Glory.

God, thank you for today.  Reveal my cross, so I may carry it daily for You.  Use me to spread Your Word.  I know You are here and feel Your presence daily.  Thank You for sending Your only Son to die so that I may live for You and die to my sins.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment