Saturday, January 14, 2012

Set the Example

The children in our church go to classrooms while the adults worship in the sanctuary.  I helped with the 4 year old group one week.  I learned so much from these tiny children who lived and experienced much less than I had.  Their spirits filled with joy, their stories told with smiles and they danced and sang for the Lord beautifully.  I took in all the happiness that surrounded.  I gazed around the room and read a poster, "Attitudes are contagious. . .Is yours worth catching?"  This simple question should be presented to each of us daily.  These little 4 year olds displayed attitudes worth catching.  I thought to myself that if I were with these little ones for just an hour a day, my attitude may develop into a positive one. 

Little children possess a carefree, loving, thankful attitude.  They rely on adults to take care of them, their hearts beam with joy and laughter, their words so innocent and they give the best hugs.  Also, the words, "Thank you," come out of their little mouths numerous times daily. 

So, what about us old adults?  Shouldn't we be wiser than a child and understand how to love, relax and give thanks?  We have lived more days.  We should have the good attitude thing down pat by now, right?

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 15:5-6)

"if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth—  you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal?" (Romans 2:19-21)

How do we move from positive, loving, laughing, kind, thankful children to bitter, negative, critical, serious, ungrateful adults?  Where do we learn such a bad attitude, a poisonous one?  Often, I examine my attitude and quickly see that no one would want to catch this one today.  We must take a stand and eliminate bad attitude.  It hinders our growth and sets terrible examples.  Let us focus on God and see the wonders that each day brings.  Let us strive to glorify God by becoming like Him in spirit. 

God brought us here to teach Truth, love others, raise our children and enjoy life to the fullest.  We cannot do any of these things with ugly, bad attitudes.  We teach our children to love others, bring laughter, give thanks, be kind and use 'nice' words.  Do we reflect what we ask?  If we fail to display the attitude we ask of our children, our words remain empty.  They, as well as others we meet, will learn from us and catch our attitude! 

Continue to focus on God and the life He holds for us in Heaven.  Keep your thoughts on Him and there will be no room for negative thinking, foul words or frowning faces.  Yes, there will be times when we are pushed to our limits or negativity begins to rise up within; but, we can quickly shift our thoughts back to Him.  Seek Him for strength in those moments to avoid advancing to a full-blown negative attitude.

Laugh today.  Love today.  Live today for Him and be like Him!

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.  ~Winston Churchill

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day.  ~Author Unknown

Every thought is a seed.  If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious.  ~Bill Meyer

The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude.  ~Dennis S. Brown


God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for filling me with love, taking care of my needs and bringing laughter to my life.  Rid me of my bad attitude.  I surrender my life to You and relax in Your arms.  I know You will take care of everything today, so I will just live it step by step with a huge smile.  Help me to remain this way each day.  Help me to spread good attitude and shine Your Glory to all.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment