Thursday, January 26, 2012

The REAL Thing

Typically when I clean our home, I use the cheaper brand of products and supplies.  The outside of the bottle clearly states the comparable ingredients to the name brand (more expensive).  I never really put much thought into the purchase.  I only knew that the few extra dollars saved added up over time.  My house seemed clean and all was well.

Until. . .

My husband stocked the cleaning supply closet.  He purchased all name brand products and supplies.  It came time for me to clean the bathroom, dust the living room and help everyone see better in the mirror.  Well, the difference in products was incredible.  I did not need to use as much of the name brand, it lasted much longer, left no streaks and gave a better aroma. 

I never knew the difference because I refused to spend more money.  The fake stuff seemed to suffice and saved me financially.  If I thought it through, the fake stuff probably lost me money because I had to use more of it and clean more often.  The real thing lasted and performed better.  Had I took the time to study and research, I would have saved myself lots of time and effort cleaning.  I also would have revealed the phony product much quicker. 

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." (Matthew 7:15)

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.  They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." (2 Timothy 4:3-4)

Okay, so the fake proclaimed to be the same product.  The outside seemed similar to the real thing, the liquid the same color, the consistency the same, even some of the ingredients appeared very much alike; but, the fake fell short in performance.  I wanted to believe it was good because my bank account wanted the cheaper grocery bill.  But was I really choosing correctly?  Was I allowing my need to save a few dollars supersede the right choice?  I must have been delirious from inhaling all those fake products.

Well, as Christians, we must be careful not to fall for fake prophesy.  The cover of the book may appear legit, the outside of the church looks great or the person preaches in confidence.  We must seek God for discernment between false doctrine and His Truth.  Some feed others only what sounds good from the Bible and leave out the Truth of need to change our sinful ways.  Yes, God is love, provides forgiveness and comforts at all times; BUT, to get to Heaven, we must read His Word and follow every piece.  We cannot skip over the parts that may feel uncomfortable or use the cliff note version of it to live according to His Word.  We must read every sentence, word and letter.  Then, do what IT says! 

Sure the church up the road saves you on gasoline, but is Truth being taught?  A friend may lend you a book to read; you do not want to offend her by refusing the offer; but, is Truth being fed by the words in the book?  A person confidently speaks about God to you, but is all Truth being told?

One way to know that your mind is fed the real deal - read the Bible yourself.  Study, meditate on and learn the Truth within the REAL thing.  Do not fall for anything less than His Truth.  Test what you hear with His Word and assure that the church you attend teaches sound doctrine (even if you must travel 25 minutes each week).  Don't believe everything you read, but test it with His Word.  Stand firm on Truth.

Jesus is the Way, Truth and Life.  Accept Him as your Lord and Savior and know His Father.  His Way lasts eternally, leaves no stain of sin, shines and clearly brings peace!

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for feeding me Truth.  Help me discern between false prophesy, guide me to books of Your teaching and lead me in Your Way.  I struggle to distinguish between false and true teaching.  Help me see clearly.  Help me understand fully the Truth I read in Your Book.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment