Friday, January 6, 2012

Don't Deny your Heritage

It amazes me to watch my daughter/son act like me or my husband.  It is as though I am looking in a mirror or watching an old home video of myself or my husband.  This makes sense because, as we all know, a child possesses equal parts of DNA from each parent.  Even more so, both children look up to my husband and me as an example of how to act in this world. 

Some characteristics they display are innate, while others learned.  For example. . .

  • My daughter chews on her tongue while dribbling a basketball (innate b/c she has never watched me play).
  • My son watches sports intently and makes the calls (learned from his dad).
  • My son draws fantastically (innate from his dad).
  • My daughter cleans like none other (learned every day of her life by watching me).

The above only lists a couple examples.  I could write down numerous I see daily.  As they grow, they may choose to change some of the learned characteristics.  They may refuse to partake in the innate characteristics, denying the similarities to us.  But, they will never lose the chemical makeup inside.  They will not forget what they learned from my husband and me as they grew each year.  They each have the choice to allow these characteristics to be active in their lives or lay dormant and create their own ideas of how to live and what little quirks to display.

"So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.  If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise." (Galatians 3:26-29) 

"Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children  and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:1-2) 

DNA comes from both parents through fertilization; but, one more additive exists when an embryo is created.  God's hand is present and touches every fiber of our being.  Therefore, God is in us from the beginning.  He is with us at all times from fertilization through Eternity.  We must choose to activate His character in our lives and allow Him to guide our motions, mouths and meaning here on Earth.  We were created by and for Him.  We each are heirs to God and cannot lose Him Who resides within.  Unfortunately, we have the choice to allow Him to live actively within us. 

The example of His Son, Jesus is given freely for us to follow.  There again, we have the choice to follow or ignore the teachings in His Word.  Failing to follow Him, leads to destruction.  If we choose to create our own ideas of how to live, follow a path laid by ourselves and deny our heritage; we lose our Eternal life in Heaven. 

By looking at and observing my children's behavior, others clearly see to whom they belong.  My children stand proud and gleam when others say, "You look just like your dad/mom," or, "You act just like your mom/dad."  Let us, as children of God, clearly show others by our actions to Whom we belong.  Let us be proud to display characteristics of our Father.  Begin every day by asking God to actively be in your life.  Shine His glorious light wherever you travel.

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for the freely given gift of grace and acceptance into Your family.  Please send Your Holy Spirit to be active in my life today.  Consume my whole being and shine Your light through me so others see clearly to Whom I belong.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment