Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nagging gets us Nowhere

"We cannot change people by pressuring them or by nagging them.  Only prayer and God's love will work." ~Joyce Meyer

I am one that nags.  In the presence of stress, I seek others to take the load off or pull me out from between a rock and a hard place.  I bring burdens upon myself by saying yes to all kinds of 'stuff' in my life.  I like to be a part of 'things' in life.  I don't want to miss out on a gathering, a Bible study, EVERY activity my children take part in or taking care of my family's needs.  I place these standards for my life and everyone around me should comply to help me accomplish and fulfill them, right?  Life must play out a certain way so MY ideas come out perfectly, right?  If others get in the way, refuse to live as I think they ought or behave in a way which disagrees with my plan; then I should confront them or speak my opinion boldly, right?

WRONG on all accounts.  I am not to nag another to change in the way I believe.  I must avoid pressuring them with my worries and standards to live according to ME.  When life seems out of control and I want the help of others, the best answer is prayer.  As I pray, I see that my situation really ain't all that bad!  God reveals a way to handle my schedule, clean up the busyness in life and focus on Him.  As I focus on Him and pray, He takes care of all the other details.  I find that I really was not wedged between a rock and a hard place; but, I was between my Rock and a hard place.  There is no other place I'd rather be!  My Rock will see me through my hard place.

"They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them." (Matthew 23:4)

"Better to live in a desert
   than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife." (Proverbs 21:19)

Nagging brings rebellion.  As I nag for others to help and change their schedule to fit with mine, I only push them further away.  Why should they help a person who continually tries to control their every move?  Why listen to a person whose words continually preach and not love? 

As Christians, loving others as God loves them speaks louder than the critical approach.  We cannot change people, but we can pray for them.  God will consume the hearts of those names He hears and soften one step at a time.  He will place on their hearts the way they should go.  Pressuring another with Scriptures to try and change their wrongs, continually telling them how to change for good or trying to coax them into the plan and timing God placed on your life will push them further from God.  We all have an inner child that does not like to be told what, how, when and where to do things.  God is the only way to healing and changed hearts.

Believe me on this one.  I was, and still can be when pressures become high, a nagger.  It got me nowhere but misery.  I must remind myself to avoid nagging and begin praying!  I am here to live according to His will and follow His timing.  Only He knows the perfect time for each of us to take a certain step, change our path or surrender fully to Him.  He holds the plans for our lives.  I am not to control others to make my journey easier or pressure them to change according to my thoughts.  I must not push them or drag them to where I want for their lives.  God has this one! 

Go to Him with all your worries, thoughts, concerns and struggles.  You may find that you need to change, not others.

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for loving me through hard times, busy schedules and my concerns.  Help me to avoid nagging and run to You in prayer.  Keep my mouth quiet and my heart open to Your ways.  I give my days to You.  Show me how to move, what to say and how to love others as You would love.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment