Sunday, October 2, 2011

Until Death Due You Part

I attended a wedding last night.  Both bride and groom experienced marriage in the past.  Before meeting one another, life felt incomplete.  The choices in the past built memories for each to learn exactly what they desired in marriage.  God's plan prevailed despite the world's trials and tribulations.

The beautiful bride walked up to her nervous groom and began to make the commitment among many witnesses.  The decor provided a gorgeous scene.  Family members shared the gifts and talents God provided to celebrate this evening with the couple.  A brother led the couple in the ceremony as the minister, a grandson held the rings, a great-niece prepared the isle with fall leaves for the bride, a son played a trumpet beautifully to send the couple out of the church, another son led the music for the reception so all could celebrate and the sisters organized the whole reception and cooked an awesome meal for all to fill their bellies. 

I can only imagine the joy inside the hearts of these two as they meditated on this perfect evening.  Not only did they begin a life together as one, but also were able to share it with all their loved ones supporting them.  Before leaving the ceremony, the couple chose to each take a small vase of sand (one slightly darker in color than the other) and pour into one container with the initial of their now shared last name engraved on the front.  As each poured, the sand ran together and bound itself as one.  This symbolized unity, bringing two families into one and choosing to take each step forward hand in hand.

‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh.  Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” (Mark 10:7-9)

 "Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees,
   that I may follow it to the end.  Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.  Direct me in the path of your commands,
   for there I find delight.' (Psalm 119:33-35)

God created woman for man, to become united and share in this land, obey His Law and strengthen the bond so nothing may separate the two.  Sometimes we travel along our road, through all our trials and ignore huge signs from God to avoid that relationship, walk away from a date or just wait on Him to bring the one He chooses into your path.  The road becomes rough, broken and we feel lost at times.  God will direct your path, help you heal the brokenness and set your feet in the right direction.  He remains by your side and waits for your hand to reach for His.  Then, He may take the lead and open your eyes to the delightful plans in store for your life.

The song, "God Blessed the Broken Road", played a couple times throughout the evening.  It brought a memory to my mind of the paths my husband and I traveled together and then apart until God merged our path back together (where He intended the whole time).  We dated in high school and everything felt just right, but circumstances, life and this world tore us apart.  We traveled apart for years and faced very tough trials, unhappiness and broken hearts.  Each one built a stronger desire to want to be in the arms of my high school sweetheart.  I think back and wish for the time apart to be given back so to lengthen the time I have now with my husband.  Then God quickly tells me, "No, those experiences I took you through were for a reason and now enjoy the path I laid before you and your husband, the one I wish for you to travel hand in hand." 

I believe God led the couple last night to one another after traveling a broken road separately.  They see now the plan and smile as they embrace the path laid before them.  May they keep Him at the center, focus on every message spoke clearly to lead them closer to Him and enjoy every memory until death due them part!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for every breath drawn so I may spend more time here with my husband.  I enjoy every moment given, even the silly arguments that mean nothing in the grander scheme of things.  Thank You for merging our two paths again.  May the couple last night be blessed every day by Your hands.  Keep smiles on their face and joy in their hearts.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment