Thursday, October 13, 2011

Avoid Anticipation

Anticipation can be a great feeling when a pleasurable event waits in your future.  Your emotions excite when planning, visualizing the event and counting down the days until it arrives. 

My son looks forward to the weekend every Monday.  He wakes up and tries to focus on the weekend to come and all of our plans.  His thoughts become happier as each day passes.  He anticipates fun times ahead

Unfortunately, anticipation can also be an awful feeling as well.  You dread an upcoming event and just know it will turn out sour.  You would just rather pass up the whole thing and move on.   

On the other hand, my son drags his feet in the morning and hates to think of the school day ahead.  His favorite times at school include recess, gym and lunch.  Every other class and time, he could do without.  His outlook is grim and he anticipates the whole time to be dull, boring and miserable.  His thoughts lead him to unnecessary anxiety and sadness.

There is a constant battle for our thoughts every day.  Satan would love for us to anticipate the worst scenarios instead of focusing on the blessings in life and the good times that await.

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD,
   I wait for God my Savior;
   my God will hear me." (Micah 7:7)

"Why, my soul, are you downcast?
   Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
   for I will yet praise him,
   my Savior and my God." (Psalm 42:5)

"Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
   my hope comes from him." (Psalm 62:5)

Ultimately, every day turns out as He plans.  Our ideas, thoughts, anticipations and plans do not matter.  He knows the best result and will bring peace to every situation faced.  We need not waste our time and energy concocting ideas of the turn out.  We only bring anxiety, worry and dread upon ourselves as we anticipate difficult or unwanted events.  Or, we set ourselves up for disappointment, frustrations and sadness when an exciting event does not turn out as expected.

Give every day to Him; He has the plan in place already.  Focus on His blessings through every situation, not on how YOU think the details should pan out.  Our hope is in Him.  Wait for His guidance and keep the enemy behind you.  Joyce Meyer always says, "Where the mind goes, the man follows."  Keep your mind on Him and focus on His plan.  Throw out any negative thoughts and replace them with Truth, knowing whatever may come will be good because God is at your side. 

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for planning every detail of my days.  Keep my thoughts focused on the present.  I give You my anxieties about the future.  I know You hold all kinds of great plans for me, plans I cannot even imagine.  I wait for You.  I am here to go wherever You lead.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment