Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stay on His Team

I attended my husband's football game on Friday night.  He officiates Friday night football at various high schools.  The kids and I tagged along this time around.  The weather became colder as the sun sunk into the sky.  The kids and I did not really prepare for such a cool evening.  I did not feel so well and the cool weather depressed my immune system even more.  The kids began climbing the bleachers, running the ramp and paying no attention to the game.  To say the least, my attitude slowly moved from supportive of my husband's passion to regrets of agreeing to tag along. 

As the game progressed, I began feeling worse and my voice faded.  Each quarter is timed twelve minutes, so I gave myself a pep talk to make it through the next 48 minutes.  As I watched the clock stop numerous times, my pep talk faded into the far back of my mind.  Twelve minutes turned into thirty minutes and this mamma's patience was wearing thin.  With each whistle I lost hope of ever getting out of this place.  I felt myself become more ill and saw no way out.  My attitude and outlook became very grim.

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.  May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 15:4-6)

"to be made new in the attitude of your minds;  and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." (Ephesians 4:23-24)

Your life will inevitably bring trials.  Until the day we meet Christ, times will go against our plans.  Outside influences, change in environments and decisions out of our control appear daily.  These present high risks of depressing our attitude and thoughts.  We may enter a situation with a positive outlook and motivated to come through smoothly; but things happen, Satan pulls out sneaky schemes and lies to us.  Satan lengthens our pain and sadness with each lie believed. 

Just as my attitude shifted to negative and regret, Satan's lies grab a hold of us slowly and cause us to slip away from God.  We must continue to focus on God and make it a point to change every lie to Truth from God's Word.  His Truth encourages, teaches and helps with endurance through every trial.  Though Satan may blow the whistle and try to stop our progress through the trial, God can come to rescue and move you right along to come to the end.     

Focus on God's pep talk found in Scripture.  Avoid lies, negative thoughts and conforming to outside influences to drag out your trials.  Keep the times running by praying, rejoicing for all lessons learned and staying protected by the Truth.  Don't give Satan a foothold by failing to prepare.  Grab all your tools; the Bible, prayer life and armor needed to face daily spiritual battles.  Stay on His team and you will always come through in victory.

God, thank you for another day.  I am sorry I lost focus the other night and honed in on all the negative pieces of my evening.  Not only did my joy vanish, my emotions also became out of control and brought others around me down.  I am reminded to focus on You through everything; no situation is too small to keep Your Truth on my mind.  Continue to teach me and remind me of this important factor of life.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment