Monday, October 31, 2011

Leave the Masks for Halloween

Today is Halloween; a night filled with scary faces, sugar filled bellies and creative decorations.  You will see today that our true identity can be covered with a mask, a costume and/or face paint.  Blonde hair changes to blue, smooth young faces change to wrinkled and old, little girls transform to beautiful princesses, little boys transform to their favorite superhero and even animals put on a costume to stroll the neighborhood. 

Today is Halloween; a night when masks are accepted, costumes are desired and hiding your true self is the intent.  We run around the neighborhood seeking others to give candy to us as we hide our identity.  People compliment our creativity in costume choice.  They comment on the beauty of the little princesses, the muscles of the superheroes and pretend to be scared of the darker costumes. 

Today is Halloween; a night every child becomes excited.  They receive bags full of sugar.  We do not buy much candy at our house, so my children love the idea of getting so much and having it on hand at the house.  My son loves to dress up and play the part of his character.  My daughter, on the other hand, counts down the minutes until she can take her costume off.  She is only in it for the sweets.  She would rather just be Brooklyn. 

"On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts.  You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed—God is our witness.  We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else, even though as apostles of Christ we could have asserted our authority." (1 Thessalonians 2:4-6)

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
(Galatians 1:10) 

I believe my daughter sets the best example.  She just wants to be Brooklyn.  She chooses not to hide behind a mask, put on a costume to be somebody else or cover her beautiful face in makeup to create a new look. 

Sometimes, as Christians, we place our mask on before leaving our home.  We cover ourselves in makeup and dress to impress.  We may choose to swim in debt just to drive the best vehicle in the lot.  We purchase the latest and greatest electronics or possessions to "fit in" with society.

What do these actions and thoughts do to our soul?

God created us in His image to carry out a specific plan.  His plan and purpose for each of us coincides with His Will.  He created our innermost being just as He thought perfect.  Why would we want to change any part of it?  Well, I can tell you my answer.  I placed on many masks all through life.  The home I grew up in required an image of perfection and for all to see us as the "Cleaver's".  So, as I left the house, I put my costume on just so and created a mask with a constant smile.  Outwardly all looked well, inwardly destruction continued.  

You see, God does not intend for us to win approval from this world.  We are servants of our Creator and need only to please Him.  He entrusts us with the Gospel and delegates specific tasks for each of His Children.  We all play a role to further His Kingdom.  Take off the masks and walk forward shining His light for all to see.  As a kid, receiving candy felt like the best gift ever.  As a Christian, you see His blessings are the best gifts ever.  Travel through your day, around your neighborhood or towns, from friend to friend and to all you meet, share what you know about Him.  Reveal who God made you to be and share witness.  Our messy lives may not appear acceptable in society; but, stand firm on His Word and turn your mess into your ministry.  Leave the masks for Halloween.

Today may be Halloween; But, EVERY day is His day.  Be excited to serve Him and praise Him for your blessings!  

God, thank you for another day to serve you.  I have burned my masks, destroyed my costumes and trashed my makeup.  I am here to serve wholeheartedly and be the Sheree You intended when You breathed life into my soul.  I am here to use my mess and minister to anyone You intend.  Take my past and use it to further Your Kingdom.  Where You lead me, I will go.  I will follow You!  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment