Sunday, October 23, 2011

Humility, Not Pride

As life continues on, words will be said without thought, from others and even from our own mouth.  Some words can make a lasting impression on our esteem.  Words carelessly said could damage our outlook on ourselves or affect the path we take next.  On the other hand words said with love or invoked by God can create growth in spirit.

I watch my kids argue with one another or defend themselves when being disciplined and more often than not words are thrown around without thought.  Each child feels the need to speak the last word.  Their body languages increase the intensity behind the words.  The thing is my children are 7 and 3.  Their level of maturity cannot grasp the process of filtering words.  Unfortunately, this process is hard to learn and keep in the forefront when emotions arise among relationships in life. 

As Thumper says, "If you can't say something nice . . . don't say nothing at all."

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5) 

"The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint,
   and whoever has understanding is even-tempered." (Proverbs 17:27)

"May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
   be pleasing in your sight,
   LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

The words that come from our mouth must be filtered.  Bring your thoughts in sync with God before uttering a sound.  He will guide your speech, actions and thoughts to bring peace, love and understanding among each other.  We need not have the last word.  Change the body language to allow the other person to see care and concern.

Take a stand on His Truth to captivate each thought, restrain from using harsh words or tones and please Him with the meditation of your heart.  If another person fails to live by His Word and throws out careless words towards you; remember His Word reigns true.  Seek Him for healing from any hurt.  Know that His love never fails and you are His child.  He will comfort you as a mother comforts her child.  Avoid any retaliation or need to speak the last word.  Seek to heal, not to win.  Become humble, not proud.

God, thank you for this day.  Filter my words and bring peace.  I often fly off with my emotions and fail to speak with love.  Guide my thoughts and see if any offensive way in me and lead me to Your Truth.  Reveal my negative thinking so I may correct it with Your Truth.  Thank You for loving me always and showing me who You want me to be in life.  I am here, use me in any way to spread Your Truth and help others see You.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig   

No comments:

Post a Comment