Monday, October 24, 2011

This Too Shall Pass

While visiting my brother, my family and I stayed up a bit longer than his family one night.  We watched television and enjoyed down time before hitting the sheets.  All of a sudden, we heard hard rain pounding on the house, lightning flashed in the sky, thunder rolled and the wind picked up tremendously.  The change in weather grabbed the attention of my kids and brought fear into their little bodies.  Then, my brother's dog escaped his crate and peeped around the corner for some comfort.  He too was scared and a little shaky.  The fugitive increased the fear in my son (he despises dogs). 

I went to put the dog up and my brother came down to reprimand the dog for busting out of the crate.  My family and I ventured upstairs to end the evening.  My son, still scared, try to complete nightly duties (brush teeth, use restroom, etc.).  He found it difficult not to focus on the storm outside.  I told both kids that God allows for storms so the ground can receive some moisture.  God will protect us.  Not sure how consoling this would be to a 7 and 3 year old, but it seemed to calm them a bit.  It is hard for them to grasp the idea that this too shall pass.  As my son lay down he said, "God could have warned us."

"But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
   let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
   that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous;
   you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:11-12) 

"Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:5-7)

"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." (Romans 8:15;18)

Once we receive the Spirit, our eyes begin to open.  God comes and meets us wherever we may be and guides us to the path intended for our life.  Accepting Him requires faith, believing in the promises made by Him.  He will protect and guard our hearts.  He remains the same, loves continuously and provides a peace beyond our imagination. 

Though this broken world will present trials every day, we must focus on the glory that waits for us.  There will be tough times come our way without any warning.  Cling to Him in the difficult times as well as the joyous times and all works out for His glory.  Storms occur around us, out of our control.  But, like the story of Joseph, intentions may be to harm you; God will bring good out of it and bring all situations in sync with His Will (see Genesis 50:18-20).

As my husband and I comforted our children, God will comfort and see you through anything.  Trust Him and lean not on your understanding.  Use tough times to grow closer to Him and learn even more how to apply His Truth to every situation.  His Word stands true at all times.  Earth needs storms to bring growth and beauty; so does each of our lives.  Remember, this too shall pass!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for sending Your Son to die for us and wash away our sins.  Though free will can get me in trouble and create storms from time to time, I know I am forgiven.  I come to You and fall in Your arms to heal and learn from my mistakes.  Thank You for comforting, loving and growing my spirit.  May I take everything I learn, apply it to my every day and spread Truth received.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment