Wednesday, October 26, 2011

As For Me and My House. . .

After picking up some fast food on our journey home from vacation, our travel went from straight interstate to a bit country with a few curves.  My children devoured their supper and onward we traveled.  About 20 minutes down the road, I gaze back at my son.  His face looks pale and his eyes look grim.  I quickly asked if all was okay back there.  He assured me that he was not going to get sick.  My parental instinct knew different, so I searched for a bag of some sort. 

Well, it happened!  He looked and felt much better afterwards.  The poor guy did not have the best of ending to our vacation.

In times such as these, our parental instincts kick in and any thoughts of our own comfort or peace escape quickly.  We drop everything and run to the side of our children.  The same reaction may occur when they fall at a playground, venture off in a store or anytime a need must be met immediately.  Every parent experiences many instances of running to the rescue.

But, what about giving attention?  What about making memories?  What about our children's emotional and spiritual health?  Do we drop everything to fulfill these needs?

"And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” (Luke 1:17)

"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." (Deuteronomy 6:6-9)

". . . But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15) 

God blessed parents with children to raise and teach of His Truth.  In this world, our everyday itinerary may take power over the time we spend with our children.  The thoughts of bills adding up, work to be complete and appointments to keep steal the joy we could have with our children.  I catch myself too often saying, "In a minute; I am too old to play that game; or we need to get going."  Parenting is one of the hardest assignments from God.  These little people rely on us to provide care, love, discipline and also to HAVE FUN!

Venture out of the parental "me" box and promote yourself from mediocre to extraordinary.  Your children will benefit from the attention, time and memories made.  Also, this allows for parents to guide and clarify any concerns/questions while engaging in a conversation.  Use His Truths to lead them and teach them to turn to Him.  It is much better for children to receive attention from us than from this world. 

So, let the housework go, let the laundry slide for a few hours, mow the lawn later and take time to enjoy parenting.  These tasks must be done at some point and I do not suggest never taking care of your home, work or vehicles; but, check your priority list.  Push the children up the list and be a kid again yourself.  Go down that slide, play tag, read a book, build a fort or just enjoy a stroll down the street.  Not only will this benefit the mind, body and soul of your child, but it will also bring joy to your heart.  Seek God for guidance on how to bond closer to your children and really engage in their lives.  He will provide time to complete all other duties! 

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for my children.  Open my eyes to the important times spent with them.  Guide my every step to teach, discipline and enjoy my time with them.  Take away my pride and allow me to become a child again to play with my children and give them the attention needed.  I give my "me" box to You and I ask for help to do it right, by placing my children over the temporary pleasures and needs of this world.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig   

No comments:

Post a Comment