Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Say "NO" to the World

A child explores the world through smell, touch, taste, feel and sight.  Through this process they may determine what is okay to play with, items to steer clear from, what tastes good, and what should never touch their mouths again.  They discover colors which catch their eye, smells that bring a smile, what clothes are comfortable, and what clothes to throw out the door. 

A child begins life clueless, without knowledge.  Parents teach the kids what they know to help navigate though this world.  We try our hardest to keep them out of harms way, create a healthy meal plan, allow for self-discovery and keep them clothed well.  Unfortunately, parents only get five years to help a child discover themselves and teach skills without any other influences; the world captures the rest of the years. 

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)

"For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.  It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." (Titus 2:11-14)

I allowed this world to tell me who I was, what I need to do to be accepted, how I should dress, where I should go and the foods I could eat.  I conformed to the beliefs and expectations of whoever surrounded me at the time.  I strived for approval, yearned to be loved and feared loneliness.  I lost myself in the world. 

Satan prowls around this world looking for people to devour.  He takes an innocent, naive mind and overtakes the thoughts.  Satan owned my mind.  Every thought filled with his lies.  My beliefs and worth remained based on other's opinions, his lies and my performance. 

Through every generation, the Truth remains.  No matter the patterns the world chooses to follow, His Truth never fails.  We are to avoid the lies and renew our minds daily with Truth.  We must use the word "NO" when flesh tries to take over.  We wait in joyful hope for the coming of the Lord, following His Laws!

Being a parent is tough.  Continually pointing our children to the Truth can become tiring.  Some days, we fall victim ourselves to the pattern of the world and believe lies around us.  Make it a team effort to keep focus on God.  The spiritual battle will remain until Jesus comes again.  Satan does not care how old or young a person; he wants to devour and place all in bondage.  Create a soft place for your children to fall and don't ignore the tough times or assume it is just a phase!  Keep conversations flowing.  For we all have one common enemy who wants to win our thoughts.  Captivate each thought and make it obedient to Him, our Savior.  If one day goes wrong; remember, His mercies are new every morning.

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for my children.  Work through me as a parent to guide these little ones to Truth.  I pray for their little minds to be protected.  I pray for them to come to You with struggles and then to me as a vessel for Your comfort.  Place the armor on each of my children, needed for the spiritual battle they encounter.  Keep me focused on Truth so I do not fall victim to fleshly desires.  Thank You for washing all my sins away.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment