Friday, September 16, 2011

Protect Yourself

The time comes in the evening to end the day.  We begin to shut down the house. . .

-Lock the front door - CHECK
-Lock the back door - CHECK
-Turn off the computer, oven and stove - CHECK
-Adjust the A/C or heater to comfortable - CHECK
-Shut the windows - CHECK
-Turn dryer off - CHECK
-Lock up the vehicle - CHECK

This list allows us to create a safe environment while we sleep.  It puts our minds at ease so restful sleep may occur.  It protects our family from fire, robbery and theft.  We do the best we can to protect our possessions, ourselves and our children. 

After completing the check list, we ask for even more protection from God.  Our prayers lift up for safety, rest and a watchful eye over our home.  Our eyes close assured that in the morning everything will be just how we left it.

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings." (1 Peter 5:8-9)

"my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
   from violent people you save me." (2 Samuel 22:3)  

"The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell." (James 3:6)

Have you ever forgotten something on your checklist? 

I have woke up in the morning only to find the keys still in the front door.  We leave the windows open during certain seasons allowing for anyone to enter through them.  Our back door has sat unlocked throughout the whole evening.  I even walked by the oven one morning only to discover the heat still on from supper the night before.

Neglecting our checklist sets up the risk for harm.  Excuses will not fix the damage.  "I am sorry, I was exhausted last night."  "The kids were just running amuck."  "I did good to remember to take a shower after the day I experienced."

The reasons or excuses will not help in the matter.  A thief does not care or have any pity on you because of exhaustion, a terrible day or a hectic evening.  He will still come to steal and destroy.  Sparks and flames don't check with you first to see the why the item remained on all evening.  Fire still will consume your home and destroy your possessions.

Just as our home must receive attention to be protected, so does our spirit.  We must check every foothold, every trigger, every word used and every situation faced.  Place on protection.  Ask the Holy Spirit to come with you and guide your steps.  God will protect and rescue from harm.  Leave the excuses at home.  Don't try to reason with God.  He asks for your full attention and invitation to come and protect your mind, body and soul.

Satan does not miss any chance to come in, steal and destroy you.  Satan does not care or have pity.  If any foothold exists, he will slide right in and do all kinds of harm.  Check every crevice of your being.  Ask God to protect, place on the armor provided in Scripture and allow the Holy Spirit to work within you.  Let the enemy see your house is protected and he does not stand a chance.  God will stand for you and tell the enemy to move on somewhere else, there is no place for evil here!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for protecting me and guiding me to safety.  Should the enemy come in, I know You will catch him and kick him out.  Keep me alert to his schemes and the footholds I may create.  Rid me of those trigger situations and feed Truth into my soul.  You are such an awesome God and I love You dearly.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment