Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bless and Be Blessed

These few Scriptures appeared in a devotion of mine via email.


"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.  If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?  Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." (1 John 3:16-18)

"not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:25)

"This is my command: Love each other." (John 15:17)

All reminded me of the treatment each of us deserve from one another.  Jesus asks us to give unselfishly, encourage those in darkness and love one another unconditionally.  Too often we fall in the trap of selfish ambition or only giving in expectaion of receiving.  "I will send them a gift because they sent me one", "They called me, so I should call them back" or "I deserve reimbursement for my giving."

Did Jesus die on the cross for His benefit?  Did He ask for reimbursement from us as He hung on the cross?  NO!  He loved us without conditions.  God saw the need to wash away the sins of His people so He sent His only Son to sacrifice for us.  We did nothing to deserve it.  It was God's gift to us while we were still sinners. 

Jesus was perfect, sinless; yet, He sacrificed His life for us sinners.  What did He say as He hung for our sins?  He asked God to forgive us for we know not what we do.  He died in obedience to the Father.  

Our gift of time, clothing, love, encouragement, money, words, hugs or smiles are minor compared to the gift of grace given to us from God.  God will not leave you empty.  As long as you obey His prompting to give yourself or possessions, He will provide for you.  He blesses each obedient step you take.  

Avoid keeping track of what others do or give to you.  Deny the receipt at donation stations so to write off on your taxes.  Give from the heart, love from the bottom of your soul and let God work mightily through you.  We come into this world with nothing, so will we leave with nothing.  Why hang on to possessions which are temporary when seeing another in need?  Anyways, the things we have in this world are merely entrusted to us by God.  Keep focused on Him and what He would like you to do with His blessings.  Bless and be blessed!

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for all you trust me with while in the flesh.  Keep my eyes wide open to where I need to distribute the blessings I receive.  May every step I take be in obedience.  Rid me of myself.  I am here for You.  Use me in mighty ways.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment