Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Support – Safety – Strength



I experienced a moment every momma dreads.  After school one day, my daughter tried to stop them, but the tears weighed too heavy.  She came to me with arms open wide.  The story revealed a child on the bus chose my daughter to pick on and falsely described her character.  I then caught her wadding up any papers receiving a grade less than 100%.  She carried the descriptions given on the bus as if to be true.

This momma burned inside, but reached upward for help to remain calm.  I wiped the tears and loved this child back to truth.  We examined each paper and revealed the brilliant work completed.  I promised to talk with the bus driver to assure separation between the accuser and my daughter.  She felt supported and loved.

Time passed and yet another episode arose when false description of character was spoken toward her.  She shared the news with the whole family before dinner one evening.  We assured her the word spoken did not even come close to describing her character.  Her brother took up for her and confirmed our words.  She felt safe and loved.

Oh, my friends, I wish I could tell you this was the end of it.  Nope, one day my daughter said a statement which scared the living day lights out of this momma!  She said, “I want to walk on our treadmill to lose weight.”  WHAT!?!  Where would such a thought come to surface?  She sees me walk on the treadmill sporadically and we do not discuss needs of weight loss amongst ourselves.  We do not own a scale.

I quickly explained that workouts keep our hearts healthy, bones strong and muscles functioning correctly.  She was created beautifully and wonderfully in just the perfect shape to complete the work laid out by her Creator.  Her size will not determine her worth.  She is healthy, beautiful and cherished.  She felt strengthened and loved.

Combining these three scenarios (all occurring within weeks) together in my thoughts leads to a heart overflowing with emotions.  How do I process these emotions?  Anger could send me straight to the school and demand someone do something about the environment and place a protective bubble around my daughter.  This pushes blame on the school and no longer my problem, right?  Frustration could lead me to pull both kids out of the school system and home school.  This implies that I would better fill the shoes of the staff at school, right?  Sadness could create a depression and sense of failure to parent well enough for my daughter to dismiss these false thoughts/words.  This sets a false description in my own mind that my kids should be perfect and unharmed by society, right?

Any of these solutions sound productive?  NOPE!  My daughter attends a great school filled with loving individuals.  I could not come close to filling the shoes of the experienced teachers and well educated individuals employed in the school corporation.  Also, my kids cannot reach perfection nor can their mother.  We do the best we can each day, giving our weakness to God to be used for His good.

Okay, so what is a momma to do?

The only Source to turn toward for productive solution lay in one place.  The Source remains in us at all times.  The Source never falsely describes character.  The Source provides support, safety, strength and LOVE.  Actually, the Source is Love!

We cannot avoid trials and tribulations in this world.  We cannot control the actions of others.  We cannot stop society from portraying a false sense of beauty or worth.  
 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Turning to the right Source to find worth will support a solid foundation for living.  Using the right Source daily will create a safety net for which to fall.  And relying on the right Source to see us through will strengthen us beyond what can be imagined.

Starting at home, our children can begin to look to the right Source for worth and love.  Looking to Him and His promises, they will not be disappointed.  Their worth lay in God and God speaks only Truth.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment