Sunday, January 4, 2015

God has a Plan




Growing up, I ventured far off the straight path numerous times.  Peer pressure pushed me to places I never should have went, “fitting in” found me in positions less than desired and a need to be approved kept an arm’s length between who I was and who I was created to be!  The desire to be in a group overpowered the reality of other’s I hurt.  The goal of avoiding ridicule led me to ridicule others, deny healthy friendships and continue to destroy my spirit.  I remained blind to the situations and kept tunnel vision on the goal of having a group to join.  I also could not see the ridicule taking place within these groups.  I received many disapproving comments and facial expressions which only drove me to conform even more to the patterns of others.

I wanted to avoid loneliness. . .and what I got was peer pressure creating a Sheree I could not even recognize! 

‘The Lord God said,’ “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” Genesis 2:18

God desired a helpmate for Adam to avoid loneliness. . .and what he got was peer pressure! 

‘Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman,’ “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” . . . “When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.” Genesis 2:3; 6

The peer pressure came from a top source, the serpent.  He convinced Eve that eating from the Tree of Life would be a good idea.  The peer pressure pushed her places she never should have gone.  She then did not want to go alone and pulled in Adam.  Adam believed this woman to be his helpmate and “fitting in” with her found him in a position less than desired.  Both looked to approval from the conniving serpent; therefore, keeping them an arm’s length away from who they were created to be! God recognized this and acted accordingly.  All involved received discipline.

The negative actions consuming my past did not go unrecognized.  Discipline resulted in every situation.  Rather from a teacher, parent, mentor or my own conscience; I received discipline.  Never was discipline comfortable.  It stole joy from the next moment, peace within and diminished love for others.  I always wanted to take a big eraser and go to town on that page of my story.  Similarly, I am sure Adam and Eve would have loved to begin anew and have a do over.  Well, God had a plan.  His plan included the fall of man leading to the salvation of man.  In order to do so, He gave His only Son Jesus to die a terrible death so that you and I may have life!

Thankfully grace covers all the sins of the past.  I lay them at the cross!  God has a plan.  He will take all the scars, the ridicules and the blindness and turn it all around for His glory.  He will minimize the distance created between who I became and who He created me to be!  Step by step, He will lead me to the straight path.

He will do the same for you.  Peer pressure, “fitting in” and the desire for approval does not end in childhood; nor does it end when becoming a Christian.  It is now that you have strength from the right Source to overcome.  The serpent may slither in and work diligently to steal, kill and destroy.  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 The Source you reach for help already won the battle!

How does peer pressure play out in your life today?  What triggers a desire to “fit in”?  Does approval steer you from the straight path?  It all appeals to the eye and keeps our flesh in good standing (for a short while); but, God desires so much more for your life.  Through Him all things will be given and achieved.  Seek His Counsel and be His servant today!  God’s mercies are new each morning. . .

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment