Saturday, January 17, 2015

Are You Ready?


Death surrounds each day.  Either we know someone who passed, hear a story on the news, read a post on Facebook of an impending death due to illness/cancer, etc.  The heavy question of the day. . .Are we ever ready for death?

I want to celebrate 10 years of marriage.  My first cruise is scheduled in the Fall.  A book filled with my daily devotions is still in the works of being published.  I want to sign and gift one to each of my children.  I want to see my children play baseball this year, go to their first prom, graduate high school, dance with my son on his wedding day, help my daughter get dressed on her wedding day. . .the list is endless.  The passion burning inside to help others and turn the past into purpose still remains.  God is not done with me yet, right?

Let’s face the thought we would rather sweep under the rug.  Death is inevitable.  Our physical body wastes away a little more each day.  If placed in a situation of illness, cancer or disease, the process may occur faster than desired.  The body given, the time lived and the path created belongs to God, our Creator.  We simply borrow it all! 

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” (2 Corinthians 4:16)

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”
(1 Corinthians 6:19-20) 

The two Scriptures above speak volumes to me and maybe not in the same way they speak to you.  That is one awesome feature of our God; He created Scripture to speak directly to each situation.  Truth comes in your thoughts and works with the Holy Spirit to guide, guard and direct.  Let His Truth come into your daily lives to assure the steps taken lead further down the path He planned for you. 

Okay, little off topic there, sorry.  Let’s discuss the two Scriptures for a moment.  I remember the day death knocked at my door like it was yesterday.  I began opening that door, but God sent angels to grab my hand, pray over me and demand that Satan step aside.  The doctor told me to trust him by taking his hand or continue holding tightly to my eating disorder which would kill me within months.  I remember looking in the mirror and not recognizing the reflection.  Outwardly, I was wasting away at an aggressive speed (not intended for my life), but I took my first step that day toward inward renewal. 

The physical health maintained enough for survival for years, but spiritually I stopped.  I hit a Y in the road and stood at a standstill unsure which way to walk.  Then, more angels came into the scene and directed me to Scripture.  I began meditating on the second Scripture and understood this body is borrowed, given as a gift to become a temple for the Holy Spirit. Truth spoke directly to the core of my situation.  I failed this body in many ways in hopes to control life, numb emotionally, be accepted and seek happiness.  All this came at a cost. . .my life.  Again, I faced death’s door.  This time differed from the first.  See, the first time I simply shut the door and backed away just enough so only my fingertips touched the doorknob.  This time, I allowed God to answer the door and stand between me and my eating disorder. 

Throughout recovery there have been moments I believed the damage done over the years of starvation were irreparable.  Four years ago, one of those moments spurred me to begin writing.  I chose to write about lessons learned to pass on to my children if life ended before they reached an age able to remember their mother.  I wanted them to have something as a reminder and learn from my mistakes.  Well, four years down the road and I am still writing. 

I have hopes and dreams for the future.  But, ultimately, the future does not lie in my hands.  We have no clue of our last hour.  The doctor’s may try to estimate the time due to circumstances based on their best knowledge. . .but, just as the hour of our birth cannot be determined exactly, neither can the hour of death.  Live each day as it were your last.  Seek His guidance daily.  It is then; you will be ready for death.


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.  
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment