Thursday, January 15, 2015

No More Thumb Sucking!


“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.”  (James 4:7-10)


I drive past parks and see mothers exiting vehicles with a little hand holding tightly, excited to embark on the adventure of playing on the equipment.  I recall the times I experienced this scenario.  I park and prepare to enter a store when across the way I see a woman hopping out of the vehicle with a boisterous little girl by her side.  I take a look at my back seat and it is empty.  Let us take a moment and shed a few tears at this pity party I invited you to!

Then, I think of how much growth each child of mine accomplished thus far.  The years fly by as children enter the picture.  Each milestone creates an indelible mark in my heart.  Each tear cried builds strength.  Each step taken produces learning and requires faith.  Each day spent with my children fills with blessings (even the times when they are at each other’s throats and want to disown the whole family).  Neither child could do anything that will lessen or increase the love my heart holds.  Though it saddens me to see their independence, growth and maturity; I also fill with joy as I stand back and watch them make the right decision, take that leap in faith and lean on God for guidance or comfort.  They still need me. . .but in different ways.

I realized, while watching my daughter at swim lessons the other night, she no longer uses her thumb for comfort.  Before the first day of Kindergarten, her thumb instantly popped in her mouth at any sign of fear, sadness or frustration.  That first step into the unknown of school matured her in various ways, one being loss of the need to suck her thumb.  I believe she understood a different way to comfort herself.  Her prayer life deepened over the summer.  Her father and I continually pointed her to our One True Comforter and reminded her that His Promises say He will see us through anywhere He takes us.  He will never leave nor forsake His children.  I smiled as I realized this change in my daughter and thanked God for all He has brought her through thus far.  And though I don’t get to hold her hand tightly while approaching a playground adventure or keep her by my side through each day; I know she is in great Hands and now clings tightly to His Hand while approaching the adventure of life and stays by His side through each day.

Maturing in Christ can happen in a similar way.  Before that fist day as a believer and follower, we instantly turned to this world at any sign of fear, sadness or frustration.  We picked up the bottle, opened up the cabinets, cranked up the speed of a treadmill, rolled another, threw money on the table, scanned through dangerous sites on the internet, etc.  Our comfort came from this world.  Then, one day, it clicked.  Either we hit rock bottom in the pit we created or a situation opened our eyes.  We took that first step into the unknown, leaving the temporary comforts behind.  We discovered the Way to receive everlasting comfort.  Prayer life deepened and mentors surrounded that continually pointed us toward our One True God.  We explored His Word and found Promises that stood true every day.  Never left alone, comforted through any situation, overflowing with joy, loved, worth it, created for a plan and a purpose. . .the list is endless.  We discovered our One True Father – we understood that we are His child, not the world’s.

The years fly by as followers of God.  He takes you places beyond imagination and always sees you through them.  Every tear cried builds strength.  Each step taken down His path produces learning and requires faith.  Every day brings blessings.  As we look to Him, believe in Him and trust Him – we cannot do anything that will lessen or increase the love He has for us.  We need Him at all times.  He is a proud ‘Poppa’ as He watches us mature, grow and believe in Him.

This life is FREE to anyone who chooses.  He created each of us with a desire for Him.  In order to feel complete and fulfill the plan placed in our lives, we need Him.  Without Him, temporary comfort exists, decisions lead down destructive paths and the devil holds your hand tightly (producing all kinds of playground for him to enjoy in your life).  Let go of the enemy, put away the instant gratification, say no to the addictions and say YES to the One who comforts at all times and leads you to a life everlasting.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig        

No comments:

Post a Comment