Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Tragic Day in History

The western side of the country experienced one of the worst days in history.  An outbreak of tornadoes spanned the states; killing people, destroying homes, stealing people's security and leaving the hearts of victims scarred.  The scenes appear worse than a war zone.  Towns left in ruins, debris covers the ground and people's whole life taken in one moment. 

My daughter said it the best she knew how as we traveled safely back to our home, "Mommy, this was a bad day!"  I agree completely.  The day left us shaken, though we did not experience any damage to our belongings.  Our hearts weigh heavily for the victims.  Unfortunately, we often forget how blessed we are until a devastation occurs.  I believe, whether a victim or not, everyone held their loved ones tightly through this day's events.  When we tucked in for the night, we hugged and kissed with grateful hearts.

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people." (Ephesians 6:18) 

What can we do to help the victims: send money, travel to the site of destruction or give belongings to those in need?  I believe the best and most powerful thing we can do/give is prayer.  So, let us take this time now to pray and lift this tragedy to God. . .

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for saving the lives of many throughout the tragic day we experienced.  Please be with those lost lives and the loved ones left here to grieve.  Catch their tears, comfort their hearts and carry them through this trial.  Give strength to the rescue teams to endure the clean-up process.  Guide Your children to come together as a team and help one another restore lives, towns and belongings.  Take care of the needs for survival during the days to follow.  Bless the now homeless individuals with clean water, food, clothing, shelter, health and most importantly comfort.  Ease their hearts and fill their thoughts with Truth. 
God, I ask for your guidance in my life to give whatever I have to help those in need.  Show me where I can help and what service I can provide.  Open the hearts of all to You and may they lean on Your Word.  We do not know Your plans or what good will come from this day in history.  But, You promise in Your Word that You work all things for the good.  Thank You for being our Rock on which to stand.  I love You.

"Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.  I cling to you; your right hand upholds me." (Psalm 63:7-8)

Keep Satan from gaining any foothold in your lives.  Turn to God in all times.  Cling even closer in times such as this.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment