Monday, March 5, 2012

Calm to Every Storm

The season of spring enters our lives with a mind of its own.  One cannot predict what the month of March will bring.  The moment we tuck our winter clothes in the back of our closet, we wake up to snow on the ground.  One day we crank up the heat in our homes; while, the next we kick the thermostat to A/C.  The season presents confusion in wardrobe selection, worry in the severity of the season and sickness due to the dynamic weather patterns.

For a person who prefers constant, unchanging times; this season brings anxiety to my days.  I say anxiety, not because of possible snow, not necessarily because of the cold/hot temp changes; but, because of the increased possibility for storms.  I am not speaking about a minor thunderstorm.  I speak of a siren blaring, take cover kind of storm.  I do not like any part of those.  The idea of an uncontrollable, mind of its own twister coming towards my loved ones and I sends me in a tailspin of emotions.  The storm steals my security.  The situation surrounds me with an uncontrolled environment.  I stand on pins and needles, very tense when the radar indicates the beast of storms may be headed our way or in the way of a loved one. 

Recently, I experienced a day such as described above.  All day, the radar displayed a huge patch of RED coming our way.  I always hated the color red and now despise it even more.  My nerves stood on end the moment I dropped my daughter off and heard of the possible tornadoes coming later.  My daughter remained at the babysitter, my husband at work and my son at school.  The separation of my family did not disturb me until hearing an air horn sounding from the TV.  Suddenly, I recognize the names of towns mentioned by the meteorologist.  The sirens blared outside and pulsated through me.  My nerves that were on end before now shook violently in fear.  My son was the only one with family.  I just could not take the anxiety.  Yes, this grown woman is still scared of storms.  Don't laugh! 

My co-workers let me go get my daughter and meet my husband where our son waited.  I rushed up the hill, got my daughter and drove to safety.  The sirens continued and as best I could, I made the situation sound like no big deal to my precious 4 year old.  She seemed fine and once arriving at my in-laws, just played around in the basement.  My son, on the other hand, appeared in the same state as I.  We all came together as a family and calmed one another down.  The comfort I needed lay in the arms of my husband.  He spoke calmly and reassured us that all was okay.  He took all my anxiety away just by being present.  God blessed me, my son and my daughter with a strong, solid, soothing man to lead us.  He went even further with the blessing and created my husband stunningly handsome.  Oh, God is awesome!

Do you ever feel this way in life; you know, the seasons when no day is predictable; the environment chaotic and anxieties rise?  No guarantee exists to assure freedom from trials in life.  But, there is a guarantee of peace, comfort, guidance, love, stability and strength to see you through any trouble surrounding your day.  It is not a physical shelter, a free get out of trouble pass or a free wish granted to you.  It is the freedom found in Christ.  Accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior brings calm to every stormy trial.  He will stand by your side, provide strength, comfort your soul and remain stable always.  He never changes, though life can at any time.  Nothing compares to His embrace in the wildest of storms.  Reach for Him to lead and protect your life.

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."
(2 Corinthians 3:17)

"You are my hiding place;
   you will protect me from trouble
   and surround me with songs of deliverance." (Psalm 32:7)

I may never be at ease when a physical storm threatens our weather; but, I can rest assured every day that I have peace in my Father.  My heart may ache, tears may fall, worries appear; but, my Father up above will take care of me and see me through.  His light shines in the darkest of storms.  So, when sirens blare or your nerves begin to shake; go to Him in prayer and release the anxiety.  He will work all things out for His good if only we love and lean on Him.

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for being my Rock on which I stand through any trial or storm in life.  Thank You for providing Truth to feed my soul and a light to shine brightly upon the darkest of times.  Embrace my heart, guide my days, protect my soul and lead me in Your Ways each day.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment