Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back to the Basics

My husband holds the president position in our local baseball league.  As you can imagine, it is difficult to find coaches to volunteer at all levels; the hardest level being four year old tee ball.  Somewhere in the fine print of the rules, there must be a line which states the duties of a president's wife.  One of those duties includes filling any vacant tee ball coaching position.  I missed that part, but my husband kindly informed me of the statement.  I hesitated at first, ready to defy the rules and be a rebel; but, then agreed to fill the position. 

I begin to wonder what I just got myself into and how I was going to pull off teaching four year olds how to play baseball?  Somewhere in the mix, I became excited for the upcoming season.  I gathered my list of 5 players (don't laugh, keeping the attention of 5 children this age can be quite difficult), envisioned the float for opening day parade and mapped out the objectives of the season. 

I sat down to plan the first practice.  I thought to myself, "What skills do I teach" and "How do I reach these children at this level"?  Well, we need to go back to the basics.  Some skills include: running the bases (in the right direction), orienting ourselves with a ball, throwing to a teammate's glove (not their head), swinging a bat, keeping their eye on the ball at all times, where to stand in the field, etc.  These children come with various backgrounds in baseball.  Some born with a bat and ball in their hand, while others do not even know the name of the white round thing I hold in my hand.  Regardless of where they come from, we all have the same goal in mind; to strengthen our skills as baseball players.  Oh yeah, and have a blast while doing so!

I want to create a season full of learning AND laughter.  I want to prepare these children for next season, play hard each practice and game, increase physical strength and raise their excitement for the greatest game on Earth!

Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.
~Babe Ruth

Just as little children must understand the basic principles before going into the game, we must understand and learn the basic principles on which to stand before facing the games thrown in our everyday lives.  The children look to their coach to learn, understand and grow their skills.  Then, they use the knowledge and gained strength to face any situation in a game.  If ever in trouble, they turn to the coach for help for a reminder of where to go or what to do next.  

As Christians, sometimes we need to get back to basics.  Life surrounds us, chaos continues each day and we lose sight of the basic principles of living as a follower.  We must always remember to look to our Coach for guidance and use the tools He provides to continue down the path He laid for our life.  Revisit the Rulebook daily to gain strength, learn and raise joy for the day given to you from God.  He believes in you and wants you to know you can do all things through Him.  He remains at your side to help at all times, cheers for you, guides every step and opens your eyes to which decision to make next. 

Get back to the basics.  No matter your background, He accepts you.  Some grow up in a church and read the Bible daily from birth; while, others may own a Bible, but a thick layer of dust hides the title.  Regardless of background, the same goal exists for all who follow Him; to strengthen faith and further His Kingdom.  He loves all and is ready to take you in His arms and teach you the way to go.  He is excited to be your Coach.  He knows every player, calls upon each of them often and already mapped out every objective for their lives.  He holds the whole season in His hands.  Trust Him, look to Him and be an active player on His team.  Oh yeah, and have a blast while doing so! 

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for coaching me through each moment of my days.  I am so excited to be a player for You.  I will hustle, never give up and continually turn to You for guidance.  Strengthen me with each game played and prepare me for the next.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment