Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sneaky Little Joy Stealers

Daily, we face little struggles.  I am not speaking of the bigger trials; but, the smaller ones that steal our joy.  Some examples include constantly cleaning up house, being late to an event, raising your children in the "tough" years, seeing an old friend from the hurtful past or finding nothing that fits in your wardrobe.  Other examples of joy stealers may appear when we fall in to a trap of comparing ourselves to another, disappointing a loved one because of our decision or forgetting a special day of a loved one. 

We all fall short of the glory of God every day.  No one person can be perfect.  Therefore, each day disappointment, frustration and sadness may arrive in your path.  The key is to not allow these emotions to feed negative, ungodly actions.  Avoid withdrawal, hateful words or self-abuse.  The moment a negative emotion appears, we must replace it with Truth.  Respond to the emotion with a forgiving, learning and peaceful attitude.  Do not bury the emotion but work through it so the enemy cannot gain a foothold in your day. 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God,
   and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
   or take your Holy Spirit from me." (Psalm 51:10-11)

"Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.  He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it."
(Titus 1:8-9)

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7) 

Take time the next few days to really see what steals your joy.  Write down the exact situation and what emotions follow.  Find Truth to combat those negative feelings and turn a situation into a learning experience.  Ask the Holy Spirit to come and renew your mind.  Ask God to show you how to maintain a steady attitude. 

I find myself becoming frustrated with the smallest of things from time to time.  I think the biggest joy stealer comes in the area of house cleaning.  I will clean a room and feel so good about getting that done and then the family arrives home.  Quickly, my clean room becomes a mess again.  I repeat this process way too often throughout my day.  I can allow this to steal my joy OR I can humble myself and ask for the family to help.  This allows them to learn to pick up after themselves and relieves me of the constant work and frustration. 

This is just one example.  Our days fill up with little battles that can allow the enemy inside our thoughts and steal our joy.  Take a stand and do not allow the enemy to win.  Give the battle to God.  Gain control of your emotions and hold firm to God's Truth.  Encourage others with the messages you receive from God.  Then, others can experience that peace and joy.  Own your emotions; but, do not let your emotions own you.  Work through them and create a healthy balance by bringing Truth into your mind.  Joyce Meyer always says, "Where the mind goes, the man follows."  Feed your mind with the right messages so to follow the correct path. 

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for activating your Holy Spirit into my life.  Take my silly little battles that give the enemy a foothold and turn them around.  Help me see with Your eyes and work through my emotions.  I know that the peace You bring is awesome.  Keep my attitude steady so I may avoid running with my emotions.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

 

No comments:

Post a Comment